1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louis CK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know if we recommend anything. It's not our life. He's got to live it.

He hasn't been convicted of anything, so anything past that is your personal beliefs on the matter.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

When the women came forward and told their story I don't believe blocking the door was involved, Gawker blind item notwithstanding.

Also, I don't think the fact that his manager was upset that people were talking about Louis' conduct counts as blackballing them.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I figured his comeback would be feeding scripts and routines to other writers and comedians as a ghostwriter.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

www.vulture.com/2017/11/louis-c-k-masturbation-allegations-a-timeline.html

Afterward, Goodman and Wolov say that C.K.’s manager Dave Becky told them to stop telling the story of the incident.

In an interview with the Daily Beast, Roseanne Barr predicts that, after Bill Cosby, another male comic will get “busted.” She decides to name him: “It’s Louis C.K., locking the door and masturbating in front of women comics and writers. I can’t tell you — I’ve heard so many stories. Not just him, but a lot of them. And it’s just par for the course. It’s just shit women have to put up with.” Barr later clarifies in an email that she had no “first-hand knowledge” of the allegations, and was only reporting what she’d heard through the whisper network.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Pamela Adlon Fires 3 Arts’ Dave Becky Following Louis C.K. Harassment Claims

Becky apologized Monday for his handling of sexual misconduct claims leveled against his former client Louis C.K. In a story published last week by the New York Times detailing years of alleged sexual harassment by C.K. against multiple women, comedians Dana Min Goodman and Julia Wolov accused Becky of pressuring the two to not talk about their experience with C.K. Goodman and Wolov told the Times that C.K. masturbated in front of them, an incident that C.K. confirmed in a later statement.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I will take the victims' first-hand accounts over a Gawker blind item and "Roseanne Barr says she heard things."

And pressuring people not to talk about something is not blackballing them.

7. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

This puts me in the mind of the oft-shared meme on my Facebook feed denigrating NFL players that reads along the lines of 'I think men who wear a helmet defending our country deserve to earn more than men who wear a helmet defending a football.' It's a nice sentiment I guess, but it's not an equivalent comparison. I think Louis CK might be one of the five funniest comedians ever. I don't really have an answer for when or if he should ever be welcomed back or what amends he should make to get there. But his talent is infinitely less expendable than that of a cashier.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So we excuse the behavior if someone is talented?

9. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

We unquestionably do as a society in general. I don't know if he's been punished enough at this point, but the guy did lose out on TV deals and a movie. I'm not saying that makes up for what he did, but it's not like the guy just paused everything, went away for a year, and will resume his regularly scheduled success.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Az, you don't necessarily excuse the behavior. But in the same vein, you don't hold onto it long after the fact. There is -- no, there should be -- a statute of limitations on moral outrage.

Of course, I've never been a huge fan of moral outrage in general.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The idea that we can regulate and/or standardize when someone has shown sufficient contrition for their bad behavior is pretty ridiculous.

Louis CK will be forgiven when the people paying to see him perform say so.

Donny in his element likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.