1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louis CK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

And you don't think 9 months constitutes a long time? Or you don't think he has listened?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think 9 months is a very long time if you're pregnant, or a schoolkid.

I'm not sure 9 months is long enough for CK to sit in the show business penalty box. I'm also not sure he's the one who gets to decide.

I'm further not sure what or to whom he's listened.

And showing up for a surprise set is a way to avoid telling us. I get that he's desperate to perform, I really do.

But I understand that it's also a trial balloon, and that seems pretty cynical to me.

'Here let me try this and see how they react.'

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Half of comedy is just throwing new shit against the wall to see if it sticks.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

He doesn't decide. The consumers of stand-up comedy decide. And they can only be given the ability to make that decision when he comes out of hiding.

But yeah, the unannounced part of his appearance didn't give those consumers that decision, which is the part of his return I have the biggest problem with.

LongTimeListener and Hermes like this.
  6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's the ultimate answer, yes.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Two Women Describe Louis C.K.’s ‘Uncomfortable’ Comedy Cellar Set

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think he can get on the stage whenever he wants, and people can watch him or not watch him.

But I also think it was a mistake for him to do a "surprise appearance." That takes the choice away from the audience. It's a more benign form of what he did to the women forced to watch him jerk off.

ADD: I feel like "surprise appearances" are off limits for him from now on.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's particularly true when he goes on when the club owner is not there. There was no conversation about what, if anything, Louis has learned, no chance for the owner to put down any conditions for using his stage. It's just "We have a surprise guest tonight. Louis C.K. is here!", with the expectation that if you go to a comedy club you are up for whatever edgy thing might go on. Generally that is a reasonable expectation, but this was not a normal act popping in to do a set.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

11. So this applies to Bill Cosby ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.