1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LSU frat members arrested for hazing death

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Oct 11, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

My fraternity had their chapter charter revoked a few years after I left. I didn't give a shit because I only visit the college once every few years, and I don't go back to hang out with 20-year-olds. Then a few years back, they made an effort to get the chapter reinstated. They asked for money to help get things going, asked for alums to help with rush, etc. I had no interest, not least bc I live in the Northeast and the school is in the South. The chapter is now back, but it bares no resemblance to the types of people I hung out with. I wish them well, but when I think of my fraternity brothers, it's the people I pledged with and who were there in the years surrounding my pledge class. Even by senior year I had no connection with the freshmen. I was 21 and wanted to hang out at bars by then, not do power hours in the pledge pit.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Very similar to my situation. It was already a different fraternity by the time I was a senior. Now that they're recolonizing, I really don't care to have anything to do with it. Best of luck to them.

3. Very similar as well. Our chapter, which I helped found, lost its charter after 20-years.
    I have a core group of friends I see talk with on a semi-regular basis, 90 percent are fraternity brothers. Several of my other fraternity brothers, I could Not care less. ...
    That said, I'm organizing a 80s-themed, old-school formal for alumni and friends next year.

The stuff that goes on in fraternities anymore is amazing. Jaw-droppingly stupid. I won't encourage my kids to pledge.

4. CD Boogie

More than that, I'd encourage them to go to schools where Greek life is not a big deal. My school, 40 percent of people are still Greek today. I had close friends who weren't, including all five of my senior roommates. But being an independent definitely affects your social life, sad to say.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it's way, way better than it used to be. You just hear about it now. The few times I've been back to visit the current house, they get extremely serious and uncomfortable if we even joke about the "hazing" we went through.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

At least there was no butt stuff this time.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

You're confusing it with football.

8. CD Boogie

I could never understand some of the hazing that went on. Tell me to drink? OK. Tell me to do pushups or wall sits? Fine. Tell me to run the steps at the stadium until I nearly puke? I guess. Call me names and get in my face? You're pushing it. Put your hands on me? Hell no, game over. I wouldn't have stood for that crap for one second, and I can't believe people allow it, encourage it or take it. I know it happens less nowadays, but 20 years ago at a Southern university, it happened all the damn time.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

These stories anger me so much. I was in a house but it was pretty relaxed. No hazing. NONE. That was from the national chapter and it really was the only reason I joined that fraternity over other ones. My college was only 4 percent Greek so it was all pretty casual, even with 1,500 students in the system.

I knew guys from my dorms forced to get incredibly drunk and do awful rituals with each other.

Not my house. It made our relationships stronger in future years because there was no resentment.

When I see this, especially at Greek-heavy schools, I wonder if these are legacies involved in this only because Dad was in the house.

10. Dick Whitman

We slept in the attic together, had to do chores, and put on skits each night.

Ostensibly hazing, but really designed to bond the pledge class together.

They don't do any of it any more.

11. CD Boogie

that sound less like hazing than earning your keep o_O

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Sure I am.

Draft saved Draft deleted