1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LSU frat members arrested for hazing death

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Oct 11, 2017.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Why wasn't he able to have a drink in four hours?

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Because he had been in the courtroom that whole time. We checked security footage afterward out of curiosity.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It’s probably pretty rare, yes. Not rare enough.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

SAE = same assholes everywhere

5. It happens. I have no doubt it happens. And I believe every word of it.
    Our chapter lost its charter 15 years after I left due to unpaid dues and a rapid decline in membership. Many of the more recent alum, pointed that decline to ONE guy who attempted to haze the hell out of pledges.

We've had several chapters lose charters because of hazing including our Alpha (1st) chapter and another that was the shining star of the national fraternity.
    It happens really easily. It just didn't happen when I was there.
    I did a lot of stupid shit, but nothing like giving some kid alcohol poisoning and letting him die. That's not stupid. That's criminal.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

And the serious charges pretty much already have been dropped. Don't think any will get jail time.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That piece is flawed, in that it makes some really sweeping generalizations that it states as fact, but it is valuable, nonetheless. I have largely been a defender of the system, but it’s similar to the guns issue - at what point does my right to reap the benefits of a social fraternity simply not outweigh the fact that the system ensures more deaths like Tim Piazza’s. You are taking 18-to-21-year-old men who have never lived alone and putting them in a position where their immaturity and the mob mentality is going to lead to awful conclusions. The piece also points out an intractable problem in passing - fraternities must have zero tolerance for hazing. But zero tolerance for hazing leads to the kind of decision-making they killed Tim Piazza.

Maybe there was a time that young men were worldly enough by college that they could survive and thrive in this environment, and the system fostered the making of men the way it purports to. But in 2017, parents wipe their kids’ asses until they set foot on campus. Even the kids in this story aren’t necessarily monsters. They have been set up to fall.

I see the argument that at this point the system has outgrown its usefulness.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll admit that was me in college, kind of. I was a southerner at a Big Ten school who knew no one, and my dorm floor had a wide range of weirdos. I saw one fraternity that looked interesting (and didn't haze), and joined. Spent the next year and half doing almost nothing, then found the school paper and got my sh*t together for my junior and senior years. To this day, my best friends are old college paper buddies, while the fraternity brothers are little more than FB friends. But I wouldn't really change anything, both halves of my college life were what I needed at the time.

As for hazing, a few houses around us were big-time troublemakers. The fact that our house didn't haze kind of made us tools in the campus Greek system, which is a huge part of the problem that clearly hasn't changed a whit in the almost 25 years since I was in that world.

Draft saved Draft deleted