1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MacGruber (explosion)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, May 19, 2009.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

To be fair, the trailers didn't exactly make it look fantastic. My bet is this will be like something similar to Zoolander. It'll bomb in theaters and catch fire on DVD.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's not the kind of movie that was going to last in theaters anyway. More and bigger movies coming out in the next two weeks. Not surprised it didn't do well, the skit appeals to exactly the type of movie goers who WON'T be able to get into an R-rated movie. Don't disagree with the video idea - this thing has Netbox "hit" written all over it.

3. To those of you who have seen it: My kids, 13 and 10, really want to go. What do you think? Too raunchy?

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

It's only one night - I can still see this doing at least $40-50 million.
    The producers made a good move to push it back a month - no other movies opened against "Shrek," so counterprogramming with an adult comedy was a good idea.
    Seen any reviews of "Shrek" that didn't slam it? Macgruber's gotten better reviews, it seems.
    Shrek'll still get the families, but the date crowd, once word gets around that the sequel really sucks, might give the mullet a shot.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The problem is - it's going to lose screens this week, the general rule is you lose half your opening screens each week (if a movie is performing as expected). Even the mega movies lose screens the second week. There is always something new coming down the pike.

6. BRoth

BRoth Member

Unless you have *very* mature kids, I'd keep them away. Decent amount of swearing on top of CGI-ish gore and purposely over-the-top sex scenes.

7. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I agree.

I really have to like the way a film looks to spend my money on it.

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I'll go take out a loan and throw in my pink slip on any bet you want to make regarding MacGruber making $50 mil at the domestic box office.

And, to the guy with the kids that want to see this...uh, no. There's necrophilia, celery up the ass, and the name of the bad guy is made to sound similar to...uhh...a disparaging name for females that rhymes with bunts...

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Are you kidding? That's comedy gold for 13 year olds!

As well as those of us who remain 13 years old in spirit. ;D

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The box office estimates have been revised.

It actually did worse. The new estimate is $4.1 million.

11. This just in MacGruber sucks.
    Facebook confirms.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Why do we still as publications use dollars as measurements for film success, completely ignoring inflation? I understand why the film industry does it. But I don't understand why publications don't report number of tickets sold to give readers an accurate portrayal of the popularity of the film.

Draft saved Draft deleted