1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MacGruber (explosion)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, May 19, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Zoolander caught fire on DVD?

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Yeah dude. For some reason, and I don't know why, it's actually a pretty big cult-like film now. There's talk of a sequel.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow, I thought it would do much better. $4.1 million is epic fail.

Zoolander and Office Space are two movies that did horribly at the box office, but did great on DVD.

I've heard from people whose opinions I trust that Macgruber is funny as hell, so I guess we'll see.

4. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Zoolander did way better than Office Space and MacGruber at the box office. It wasn't a runaway hit, but it wasn't in nearly the same category as Office Space and MacGruber in theaters.

I need to watch Zoolander again, I remember trashing it in a review for the high school paper during my senior year. I can't believe it's achieved the cult status that it has.

5. BRoth

BRoth Member

Office Space made $4.2 million opening weekend on its way to almost $11 million: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151804/business
    Zoolander actually made $15 million opening weekend and $45 million overall: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0196229/business

I guess MacGruber can only hope for Office Space treatment.

I imagine between final domestic and foreign box offices, DVD and TV sales, MacGruber will make money back. Like everyone else is saying, I could see this get some decent buzz once people start watching it on DVD.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Zoolander made $45 million. The non-stop showings on Comedy Central have definitely helped it over the years. I remember seeing it in the theater and thinking it was stupid, but I wanted it about three years ago and it was much better than I remembered.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I think Zoolander was a little bit ahead of its time. At that point, there weren't any really stupid/funny movies that were just stupid to be stupid (Hot Rod, Anchorman, e.t.c). Once people started to see the humor in those types of flicks, it was easier to see what the movie was intending to do, hence why it was a success only after a couple of years.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

"MacGruber, you have only five seconds to save this movie!"

"Now, if I just adjust this here..."

(Explosion)

9. billikens

billikens Member

Dollars are the only measurement released to the public. The number of tickets sold is kept internally by the theatres/studios.

Often times a better way to gauge a movie's long-term success/popularity is the $$$ per screen. If Movie A makes 20M on 3,000 screens, and Movie B makes 18M on 2,000 screens, it's likely Movie B will end up with better legs at the theatres.

That said, MacGruber managed to tank with even super low expectations. I think most people assumed $8-10M with a few optimistic souls saying $13-15 and $6 being worst case scenario. Shrek, with $71M in its opening weekend, was a huge disappointment as it was projected in the $100M range. Brutal weekend for the movies. Here's hoping Memorial Day picks up a bit...

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

"zoolander," fwiw/imho, is one of those films that gets better with each viewing. i, too, couldn't stand it on the first try, but it grew on me upon subsequent tries -- that's one of the perks of having boys in their teens and beyond. you watch the tube with them, flicks like "zoolander" get more than one chance to win you over. "anchorman" was like that for me, too. ;D

others remain unwatchable no matter how many chances they're given. ::)

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

The rule of thumb is that a movie doesn't break even until its gross is two-and-a-half times its production cost. That takes into account distribution and marketing expenses, etc.

So the magic number for "MacGruber" is $25 million.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't hope Memorial Day picks up at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted