1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass Shooting At Newspaper In Paris

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Old news that pops up every few years and draws giggles & outrage from the same places. The key is the last paragraph, though they messed up the translation on what must have been a Hebrew quote: Should be "guard" the eyes, not "keep."

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The scrubbing of a photo from a prominent world event last week is old news?

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The community doesn't show pictures of women. Someone notices & reports it periodically.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

OK. I stand corrected. Let the record reflect that one editor -- the editor of the Jewish Chronicle in Britain -- has mentioned safety concerns were behind his reason not to publish the cartoons.

Sure, he's giving into terrorists, but he does know he should publish them. I applaud his honesty.

Now, is Dean Baquet being honest when he says that the newsworthiness of the photos don't trump the potential that they might offend one pious Muslim family in Brooklyn?

He's either a liar, or he has terrible news instincts. And the same goes for the heads of the AP, NBC, CNN, FOX, etc.

5. YankeeFan

The same publication was in the news not too long ago for similar reasons. I can't remember who it was they scrubbed from the picture.

I guess Baquet is not concerned with the sensitivities of the Hasidim in Borough Park who might be offended by the original photo, which ran in the Times. Surely a description of the photo would have sufficed.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

“When did it become true that to defend someone’s free speech rights, one has to publish & even embrace their ideas?” -- Glenn Greenwald.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't recall the NYTimes publishing pictures of unnaturally pink vaginas back in 1978 after the assassination attempt on noted First Amendment advocate Larry Flynt.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

:p:Do_O:p

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They did, it was just the story about figs in their Food section.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I really could use this as it pertains to one political party's behavior in terms of a recent war, but I don't want to break any board rules.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

12. YankeeFan

Draft saved Draft deleted