1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What does he know? Maybe we should ask the nearest hippie.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Perhaps you could use an analogy to clear it up for me.

JC likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Gunman slays Christian students"

It implies that 1. The 9 killed were Christians, when it hasn't been confirmed yet. 2. If it hasn't been confirmed, what if one or more of the 9 killed were not Christian? Then the headline is inaccurate, 3. If the headline is inaccurate, then the Post just slighted the non-Christians who were killed by assuming they were Christian.

From the AP story I read last night, the shooter asked the students if they were Christian or not, then shot some of them without hearing an answer. So, as of last night, unless the Post had information the AP didn't have the headline was inaccurate.

That break it down for you? Or do I need to use one of your baseball analogies?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Anything in any Murdoch foghorn must be presumed to be spun to promote its paranoia-persecution narrative.

6. YankeeFan

Chelsea Clinton, unsure whether to use effected or affected, uses impacted as a verb:

Welcome to the club Chelsea.

amraeder and SnarkShark like this.
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Unless I am sorely mistaken, the U.S. hasn't done anything substantial with regard to its gun laws since 1996 (when Australia did its bit). Since then the overall risk of dying by gunshot in the U.S. has, by my calculations, fallen approximately 15%. The risk of dying at someone else's hand has fallen by around 28%. Further, Australia has a bit older population than does the U.S. (and a younger population tends to be more prone to violence/gun violence).

The idea that what we would have to go through to implement a program similar to Australia's* would be worth it if we could get such a "smashing" success is not at all supported by the facts.

*Keeping in mind that Australia's program was a compulsory buyback made possible by a legislature unshackled by a bill of rights and willing to impose pretty hefty tax levies to fund it.

old_tony and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure if there was a black powder gun that could kill 10 and wound 20 in under a minute back in the 1700s, the founding fathers might have rethought a few things.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, that does it. Hitlerry is toast.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Stanford's English faculty weeps ...

old_tony and YankeeFan like this.
  11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Unlike gun laws, language evolves and changes.

12. YankeeFan

So, can I use impact as a verb?

Draft saved Draft deleted