1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yes. I see nothing grammatically wrong with that sentence. But, hey, good to see your Clinton obsession extends to the offspring as well.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You'd hardly be the first, methinks.

doctorquant likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Theirs not alot of clarity as to weather its write or wrong.

Ace, cyclingwriter2 and WriteThinking like this.
  6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

If you apply that line of reasoning that constitutional rights are limited by what was salient when the Constitution and the amendments were adopted to anything else, the constitutional basis for the many items the federal government does disappears. I don't think those who drew up the Fourteenth Amendment thought it would apply to women or homosexuals.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And now a brief moment of levity, courtesy of Uncle Dick:

[​IMG]

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

As long as we're breaking for levity, might I add Jim Jefferies brilliant bit on this issue:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  9. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

They might well, but you're making it harder and overall less efficient. A person with scissors, boxcutters or even a knife can be subdued more readily than one with a gun and can kill at a much slower rate. Perhaps it would lead to more roadside bombs or drones, but since those are harder to pull together you probably lessen the incidents.

Even if it is a band-aid, those do seem to help when I get cut. I assume time and effort could be directed on both fronts, but just pointing ot mental health is often a redirect, just complaining about one issue to shift the attention elsewhere.

10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

That is pretty consistent with Justice Scalia's textual interpretation of the Constitution.

However, the broader point in the cited language from Heller to any debate on gun control is that SCOTUS has recognized that the 2d A does not provide unlimited rights. The government can, consistent with the 2d A, limit who buys firearms, how one buys firearms and what firearms can be purchased.

While not politically possible, a mandatory buy-back program could be Constitutional, depending on what firearms were prohibited under the legislation.

Baron Scicluna and cranberry like this.
  11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Top five phrases included in social media posts regarding shooting:
    1. So sad.
    2. This is terrible.
    3. Awful.
    4. Praying.
    5. #StandWithUCC

Here are the first candlelight vigil pics.

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

If they take away our right to shoot our friends in the face, then only criminals will shoot our friends in the face

SpeedTchr and Riptide like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted