1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks. Sunshine will appreciate that.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

How unreasonable. Sigh.

This. Jesus. I'm so sick of the argument that these madmen and criminals will still get their hands on guns or that creating new restrictions won't fix problem. Anything we do to make it it more difficult to acquire a firearm is a plus. I fully support gun ownership, but something has to be done, and screening purchasers more stringently and restricting the power/capacity of the weapons doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I would agree that a more stringent screening process isn't a bad idea but anyone who thinks it's going prevent some idiot from getting his hands on a gun that's already in a private owner's hands is an idiot.

Restricting the power/capacity doesn't make a shooting victim any less dead either.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

But the idiot would at least have to work for it and not just run down to the gun show and buy one. He/she would have to risk stealing it or hit the streets and find one on the black market. And limiting capacity would limit the number of casualties at least.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Or just borrow one from a friend/family member. Or use the one he already owned before he went nuts.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is not solely a gun control issue; you're just dealing with the supply side there.

This mirrors the "war on drugs"; how'd hunting all the suppliers go? Did it solve the problem? No. It just jacked up prices and motivated more people to exploit the economic benefits of being a supplier.

IMHO, its primarily a demand side issue; what are we doing about that? The motivation to purchase one? The motivation to use one to kill people? You can do all you can to eliminate the supply but if the demand doesn't decrease? Other suppliers will fill the void.

Its going to take a large amount of resources and time but we need to work on the societal issues; the ostracizing of people, the intolerance of them. What is seemingly consistent is that the shooters are out of the mainstream and feel lost without a touchstone to ground them.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

As a nation, we train thousands upon thousands of people each year for our military. Many of them are probably told their weapon is their most important thing. I'm sure this has something to do with our demand for weapons; we create many of the buyers.

Register guns like cars. Make selling them or gifting illegal without notifying the government. And all owners should be registered as well.

Might not have done anything in this case, but it should cut down things without limiting anyone's weapons. Well, unless you are a felon and should not have one anyway.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Take the mindset the GOP takes with minority voters; make it harder for them to do something and less people will do it.

BDC99 and JC like this.
  9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Of course. So let's just not try ANYTHING to slow this madness. Sounds like a plan.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What percentage of shootings are committed by ex-military? Very few, I bet. The guys who respect firepower the most.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Gutter, Smallpotatoes and Stoney like this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not just with minority voters. Abortion too.

Abortions don't kill fetuses, people kill fetuses, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted