1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Besides, if my wife ever heard me say it ... shit, I'd never get any.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Boy did I not get my money's worth on a lot of dates. Even third dates!

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, I'd point out that the "never got laid talk" is not some media-generated thing, instead it's what these killers keep saying themselves is at the root of their hatred, it comes from their own words, not ours, which suggests that perhaps it's bit more consequential a factor than mere "post hoc hooey."

That said, I agree that it's not the sexual frustration itself that helps send these guys over the edge, but rather the sense of societal rejection their virgin status gives them. If these guys lived in a world where being a 20 year old virgin was considered normal it would not be an issue with them. But instead they live in today's world where they're constantly being fed the message that unlaid men of their age are freaks and losers. It's that perception of being cast off and rejected by the world that is the issue, not the blue balls.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Baron Scicluna likes this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This right here, thinking you could do this, proves how dumb you are.

Wait ...

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I remember feeling that way: "What the hell is wrong with me?" My frat bros teased me mercilessly about being "The Big V." This is when I was 18 years old. It felt hopeless. Today, I have a pretty wife and a healthy sex life. In other words: It's hard for everyone. But you're right. That's not the message.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I'll rephrase to say that we should be careful to not read too much into (or to give too much credence to) the rantings of obviously mentally ill people as to why they did what they did. There are a helluva lot of virgins out there. Astonishingly few of them commit mass murder.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The miracles of modern medicine.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes, the effect affect impact of not getting laid is amplified when combined with mental illness, and the symptoms of inadequacy, and jealousy that come with it.

But, and I'm not trying to be funny or provocative, isn't a huge part of the problem with Islam the fact that it deals with female sexuality so poorly? Men can't get laid, except by prostitutes, until they marry, and there's a huge taboo about sex. It fucks people up. It leads to anger, resentment, and rage.

They hate our "decadent" lifestyle, which includes the fact that we get laid.

We're going to see the same problem in Asia, where sex selection abortion is creating a society with more men than women. Shit is rolling downhill too, as middle class Chinese import poor girls from other Asian countries to marry. There's going to be a lot of angry, sexless guys out there.

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Do teenagers actually date anymore so guys can learn to talk to women without repulsing them?

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

1). The quote was not in Tony's post.
    2). Nobody seriously arguing that we ban all guns or take them away from law-abiding citizens.
    3). Debate all you want about whether or not expanded background check would keep guns out of the hands of criminals, but they would not keep them out of the hands of law-abiding citizens.

11. Dick Whitman

Many mentally ill people are "law-abiding citizens."

12. Dick Whitman

I still want to know what the board's conservative wing thinks of laws barring felons from owning guns.

And what does the NRA think of such laws?

Draft saved Draft deleted