1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

OK. I'm happy to acknowledge that policing techniques beyond Stop, Question, and Frisk reduced homicides in NYC.

It was a significant part of the policing, but I didn't mean to imply that it was the only change in policing techniques.

Can you tell me how the Brady Bill made gun laws in NYC tougher, considering they already went far beyond federal standards?

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Ok, that's what I thought you meant. Just clarifying.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That "gun legislation or policing" is a logical fallacy: framing of a question as an either / or between two carefully picked choices, when neither might have had ANY effect on what you are asking about. ... or there are likely other things that did have an effect and aren't one of your choices.

Crime correlates most closely with the economy. That includes murders. The crime drop in NYC (and just about EVERY major city in the U.S. in the 1990s and into the 2000s) followed 1) an economic expansion, and 2) changing demographics -- the baby bust created a declining proportion of youth, and youth are the ones who commit crimes.

cranberry likes this.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Oops, you're right. New York City banned most semi-automatic weapons in 1991. Hmm, that timing seems to correlate with something ...

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Don't take guns, just give money.

6. YankeeFan

LOL.

What percentage of NYC homicides prior to 1991 were committed with semi-automatic weapons?

This is so silly.

7. bigpern23

Agree totally. As I said, it was disingenuous to credit stop-and-frisk without looking at other factors.

8. YankeeFan

LOL. You totally agree, you just didn't mention it previously, and instead credited gun laws.

9. bigpern23

Handguns were used in 69 percent of them in 1990. How many do you think were semi-automatic? I'm guessing it's not a small number.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Of course, let's not forget that Ray Kelly's version of stop-and-frisk was found to be unconstitutional. In 2011, 91 pct. of the nearly 700,00 stop-and-frisk encounters involved minorities.

11. bigpern23

I guess you missed this post?

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That's the one I wondered about. And specifically I wonder if that has had an outsized effect in NYC as the cost of raising a family has grown exponentially there, similar to San Francisco?

Draft saved Draft deleted