1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

How about no guns until you're 30?

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

That's silly. There's nothing stopping a teenager from buying a gun and shooting up his school as long as he buys it from a private seller.

I don't see any reason to change that. If we want to extend rights to the zygotes among us, why should we limit gun rights to emotionally unstable teenagers?

If those kindergartners at Sandy Hook had guns, well, like the Jews, they wouldn't be dead. The only thing stopping the bad man is a good toddler with a gun.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Those policies violate the Fourth Amendment in a direct and shocking way. It was an abomination in NYC. It gave license to people given arbitrary authority (cops -- many of whom have proven themselves corrupt, racist and dim) to harass the most powerless people, without probable cause or even reasonable suspicion! Naturally, that meant patrols parking themselves in bad neighborhoods, or places populated mostly by minorities, and power tripping on people indiscriminately.

It got enacted when crime rates were naturally dropping -- due to things you can actually correlate with crime -- and of course now we'll never hear the end of the perceived correlation between the two. Even IF it had any effect on crime (and I am certain it was negligible, at best), for the life of me I can't understand why anyone would argue for the trampling of peoples' basic liberties -- except if your rationale is "eh, it's just poor black and hispanic people. Won't ever affect me."

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pro-massacre activists:

But he's all about common sense gun laws.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Who is that genius?

6. Mr. Sunshine

You're not good at this.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

Editor and Publisher of Talking Points Memo.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Journalists are the worst.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

When did he take over for that O'Reilly fellow?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Squid ink to distract people from talking about anything to do with their precious shooting irons.

On the spectrum between "Ban them all" and status quo, I fall closer to the latter. But the fury that erupts when you try to discuss any adjustments to current laws is disturbing. It's a parade of non sequiturs and logical fallacies.

11. YankeeFan

So, the economy went up, and crime went down. And, you want to attribute the latter, in some part to the former.

This ignores the fact that the NYC economy improved in large part because crime dropped.

People -- rich people -- stayed in New York City, and raised families, instead of decamping to the suburbs.

Businesses were willing to invest in New York City.

Young college graduates were not afraid to move to New York City.

And, let's not forget what helped to end the crack epidemic -- the "mass incarceration" of drug offenders.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted