1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Me, too'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You are seriously one of the dumbest sons of a bitch I have ever come across.

“[I feel] true disgust at the director who assaulted me when I was 16 years old and anger at the agents and the producers who made me feel that silence was a condition of my employment."

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As OOP and others have noted, she didn't necessarily mean a director with whom she has worked. She expressed "anger that I felt at the agents and the producers who made me feel that silence was a condition of my employment." That could arguably mean a producer saying, "I won't hire you for this next film if you make any accusations against Director X because my studio doesn't need the headaches," or an agent who says, "I can't get you that role they're considering you for if you're making sexual assault allegations."

Occam's Razor might suggest it's one of the three directors she worked with age 16, but that's not enough to credibly narrow the field.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I suppose it's possible she was saying a free-floating nebula sexually assaulted her.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is this that written skill you were bragging about? I'm not impressed.

5. Dick Whitman

Great. Her lawyers can have fun arguing that.

6. outofplace

Despite Dickie's misleading attempts to argue otherwise, the director is not identifiable with the information she shared.

7. Dick Whitman

And as an aside, your long-standing love of OOP is the Julia Roberts-is-fucking-Lyle-Lovett-are-you-fucking-serious-about-that? of this board.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

That's probably right. Especially since the other likely - logical - venue is New York, which doesn't recognize it.

Public figures have to prove actual malice in false light cases. If you can prove actual malice, you can also probably prove libel. Typically in states that recognize false light you see it brought alongside a libel claim.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

^^ My reaction, too. ^^

The argument also can be made that what Witherspoon revealed was personal and traumatic information about something in her life that she had kept private up until now. And so now she is disclosing and divulging that.

10. outofplace

How dare you not be an asshole to the posters I don't like!

Given the support you give YF around here, you really shouldn't be giving anybody advice regarding who they stand by on SJ.com.

11. Dick Whitman

Reese Witherspoon revealed on Tuesday that Steven Spielberg and George Lucas teamed up yesterday to violently rape her when she was 13 years old.

Good with that?

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So you are asking for proof?

Draft saved Draft deleted