1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So noted, my friends. Sorry.

Sometimes I'm posting these very early in the morning and think of them as an overnight headline digest, since the links generally make clear the content of the story. (I usually add a little excerpt under links to the Washington Post, or other sources where links don't display as text.)

Have a great day, guys.

2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

What, exactly, did you disagree with in Ken White's post? His analysis of the 1st Amendment (and federal education laws that the campus codes of conduct in question are based on) is absolutely spot-on. And I say this as someone who is very pro-Israel and disgusted by what I'm seeing happening on campus. And he nails it right here:

outofplace likes this.
  3. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

It's not. I know a former Harvard president very well - I've known him my entire life. Trust me it's a very very difficult, stressful gig.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

6. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Reaching back to one of Azrael's links, I thought this one said a lot about the situation in Israel.
    Netanyahu encouraged financial support to Hamas so he could keep Palestinian political sentiment divided and justify rejection of a Palestinian state. Meanwhile, radical Israeli settlers are driving Palestinians off of their West Bank properties in pursuit of Eretz Israel.
    This is a civil war, like Bleeding Kansas in the 1850s. Expect viciousness to continue on both sides.
    BTW, note that Qatar, and not Iran, is Hamas' sugar daddy.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Competing offer from another "university" in Austin. Not sure what to do now.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Iran isn't shy about supplying arms and munitions. They may not be directly financing Hamas, but they're doing what they can to keep things stirred up against Israel.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, the Pac-10 can always use a foothold in Texas.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

He can go piss up a rope because he's (in that post) playing waterboy to a trio of motte and bailey-ers; their transformation into "free speech" defenders is, shall we say, of rather recent vintage.

I'm no expert, but I don't think he's wrong about the 1st, etc.. His that triggered me was a non sequitur, however, and I'll be damned if I'll let that pass with the echo of "you dumb rubes!" ringing in my ears.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Send me a copy of your c.v. I can probably help you get 'er all polished up.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Fortunately, Elon University (N.C.) is already taken.

Draft saved Draft deleted