1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Voters don't HAVE to vote for anybody, or at all. These leaders work for us and not the other way around.

If the plan is "browbeat the voters more about how it's their duty to help the U.S. not have President Trump again," which seems to be the approach that's being taken on social media, we're going to get President Trump again.

Hermes likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Thank goodness they were able to have a calm, measured dialogue.

Warner Robins teacher threatens to behead students and more | 13wmaz.com

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

This is where so many go wrong:

The student says she found the flag offensive "due to Israelis killing Palestinians."

Reese then told the student she was being antisemitic.

"Please take better care to avoid Palestinian civilian casualties."

"ANTISEMITE!"

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Regarding the sentence in bold, there is no way in hell the student said something that polite.

Don't get me wrong. There is no excuse for what Reese did. None. He needs to be arrested and never be allowed to teach again. That doesn't mean the student wasn't out of line, too.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Oh, I wasn't referring to the student in this instance. I'm sure he/she was a typical teenage douchebag about it.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

At a guess, a combination of guilt by association making diplomacy more difficult, and we do badly need international partners both to support Ukraine and on the oil price front, and giving a handy club to those who want to attack Biden domestically. Democrats who are hardcore against Israel's actions and Republicans who will seize any excuse to beat on Biden both add to his problems. The R's who do it are cynical as hell, you *know* they don't give a crap about Palestinians, but it's another line of attack same as refusing to supply Ukraine is.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Palestinian-Americans’ and Arab-Americans’ other legitimate option at this point is a guy who’d love to throw them all in a stockade.

It reminds me of all the Irish immigrants who voted for Trump then were SHOCKED! SHOCKED! when their illegal buddies started getting the boot from ICE.

Leopards won’t eat my face, etc.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't think Republicans are bashing Biden for siding with Israel. I think they are going after him for not supporting Israel strongly enough while hoping the issue drives a wedge into the Democratic Party.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

1 jQEVK0A3F-cAvR03iUz-Ng.jpg

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Good synopsis here of the Masha Gessen story from the last 48 hours.

Award ceremony suspended after writer compares Gaza to Nazi-era Jewish ghettos

Supporters of Gessen, who is Jewish, and whose grandfather and great-grandfather were among family members murdered by the Nazis, have been quick to point out the irony of suspending a prize awarded in memory of Arendt, the German-born Jewish-American historian, philosopher and antitotalitarian political theorist who coined the phrase “the banality of evil”, in connection with the trial of leading Nazi Adolf Eichmann, which she covered as a journalist for the New Yorker.

Samantha Rose Hill, author of the profile Hannah Arendt and editor of Arendt’s collected poems, called it “an affront to Hannah Arendt’s memory. By their own logic, the Heinrich Böll Foundation needs to cancel the Hannah Arendt prize altogether.”

Another academic said that according to the reasons given for the decision, “Hannah Arendt wouldn’t get the Hannah Arendt award in Germany today.”

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Biden is in a precarious position right now. It’s not a far step for former Bernie supporters, who weren’t fans of Biden to begin with, to be mad enough to stay at home over the Palestinian issue.

If you were hand-picking an issue to split the already precarious center-left coalition, you might pick Israel-Palestine.

I think the Kremlin realized that.

Azrael likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As does the Editorial Board of the Wall Street Journal.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/joe-bi...wpyghnobhse&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Hermes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted