1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

"Wars end with negotiation. It's hard to negotiate when the other side's bargaining position is you all die and disappear."

Batman likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That was pretty good Maher. Don't say that all that often anymore.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Something tells me Yemen is just hours away from &FO stage of life.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yemen is already one of the world's top hellholes. The Houthis, a people persecuted long before this by the Saudis and their proxies, have turned to being Iranian proxies. Menawhile, the water supply for the country is expected to go dry in the next 5-10 years, rendering the conflict moot.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Neither do I, but he nailed it on this one.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Adjacent to the arguments over speech and its consequences, on campus and off.

That’s Not Censorship

For the past few years, the right has worn itself out decrying“cancel culture”—claiming that left-wing mobs have destroyed the career of artists, writers, and freethinkers—and equating it with censorship. Liberals have typically been the first to point out that this is absurd. If someone says or does something that offends your sensibilities, you are of course free to avoid supporting that person’s professional or creative endeavors with your time and money. That is not censorship—it’s merely a consequence.

But in response to the Israel-Hamas conflict, something has shifted. Compared with the tremendous suffering in the region, the opinions of American makers and consumers of art are a trivial concern. And yet the war has torn apart long-standing alliances in the arts and revealed ways of thinking that are, I believe, fundamentally dangerous to our democracy.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2023
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Israel Says Its Soldiers Killed Israeli Hostages as They Held Up White Flag

The new details about the incident emerged as Israeli and Qatari officials met in Norway on Saturday in order to revive talks about the release of hostages held in Gaza in return for a cease-fire and the freeing of Palestinian prisoners held by Israel, according to people familiar with the matter.

The hostage deaths have intensified pressure on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government to take new steps to free the 129 remaining hostages. Israel’s war cabinet was set to meet later Saturday to discuss whether to officially resume hostage talks with mediators, the people said.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I guess I'd hope we hold the good guys to a higher standard.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What good guys? There are good guys here? Where are they?

wicked, Twirling Time and dixiehack like this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I've done no research into it, but I would not be surprised to learn that the "almost half the munitions" thing is a non sequitur fabricated trotted out by those with a particular agenda just to put the IDF in the worst possible light.

Azrael likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hamas can't propose an ending to the war because unending war is the only political goal it can achieve. Any negotiated settlement would negotiate it straight out of ecistence.
    Any end, hell, even any substantial halt to the war means the immediate political end of Netanyahu. He's not ending it anytime soon.
    There is, truth to tell, no real desire among either Palestinians or Israelis for any kind of settlement in which the two people would live in peace as political equals in one state or two. Any such settlement would have to be imposed and enforced by the rest of the world in a lengthy, dangerous and very expensive process. Nobody I know has even proposed such a blue sky idea.
    Thus, the war will go on.

Draft saved Draft deleted