1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

240, but the math seems pretty imprecise.

As of this morning 110 have been released.

It is believed there are 113 still being held.

This was updated Friday:

Who Are The Remaining Gaza Hostages?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... sounds like "almost half."

"Almost half" is an interesting phrase ... it sure seems to be perceived differently when we're talking about IDF munitions choices and not Hamas' hostage-taking and -releasing tactics.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not sure anyone anywhere has said "almost half" in relation to the hostages.

Also, if the US is delivering precision weapons to Israel, US newspapers are going to express an opinion about their use.

Apples and oranges I think.

Relative to the comment I made to out of place, are the precision munitions or indiscriminate munitions getting those hostages any closer to home?

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Israel's not at war to rescue hostages. The question is whether IDF munitions choices are enhancing or diminishing Israel's chances to exist.

outofplace likes this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They claimed they no longer had any civilian women as hostages. This comes from their false claim that any woman under 45 years old is not a civilian. They also claimed they didn't have some of the hostages they took, which was either a lie or an indication that they passed them off or sold them off to other organizations. How many times do they have to prove that they can't be trusted and that they won't settle for anything less than the annihilation of Israel and all of its Jewish citizens before you see it?

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So long as the US is the staunchest supporter of Israel, Israel will exist. The question is can you enhance or diminish your chances of crushing terrorists by bombing them and the people they are hiding behind into submission. The next time that strategy works will be the first time.

And it isn’t you saying it, but it bears saying here, no one is denying the lack of peace is in response in part because of bad faith negotiations. But the problem Israel faces isn’t Hamas. Their problem is the Palestinian people trust Hamas more than Israel. When the terrorists have the hearts of the people, you can’t win. You can’t bomb it away. You can’t starve it out. Every use of force justifies why the Palestinians side with the same people who are exploiting them.

Israel will win this conflict but the war is far from over. And at some point, you have to put the guns down. When you do, will the people stop Hamas from picking them back up or will they join them?

Again, not you Quant, but I’m getting flack for daring to suggest Israel let food into Palestine. Last I checked, unless you’re in a food fight, a loaf of bread isn’t a weapon.

After World War II, we didn’t stop food, money and medical shipments to occupied areas for fear the fascists might get them. We fed them too. There was also a strong force to stop shenanigans but we fed the people.

Israel needs to cut out the tumor, but at some point you have to stop cutting and start treating. Otherwise there’s nothing left.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

I keep hearing how Israel faces an existential threat. But really, does it? Egypt, Jordan and Syria have all backed off. Iran talks a big game, but it's 1,000 miles away, and judging from the acts of its proxy, Hezbollah, it's not interested in getting seriously involved. Iran is building a bomb thanks to Mango Mussolini, but Israel has had that tech for 50 years. Hamas is not, and has never been an existential threat to Israel. It's an enemy, but a weak enemy -- and an enemy Bibi liked to have around for domestic politics.

In geopolitical terms, the Hamas raid is a mosquito bite. The people with loved ones among the victims may feel otherwise, but that's a fact. Israel suffered 11,000 casualties during the Yom Kippur war in '73, which Israel won with extensive US support.

The '73 war lasted less than three weeks. The IDF has been going at it for two months, with no end in sight. If it continues, that campaign could prove to be a greater existential threat to Israel than anything since 1948.

SFIND and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I still want to know how one of the world’s most sophisticated intelligence services let this happen. It sure sounds like the Israelis botched this royally. Or they were in “this can’t happen to us” mode, like we were before 9/11. It’s a failure of the government. Bibi’s been too busy alternately fighting off court cases and trying to kneecap the courts to protect the people who put him in office. He cares only about his own backside. That’s scandalous. But apparently “it’s too soon” to discuss what to do with him, which is the same thing we say about gun laws the day after a mass shooting happens.

Sorry, thread jacked with random thoughts. Not trying to minimize the tragedy, at all. In fact it’s even more of a tragedy because it was a preventable one.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We are far enough in to talk about Netanyahu's failures. Hell, the Israelis have been talking about it almost from the beginning.

My issue was with the assholes in the U.S. who have ignored the human cost on both sides from day one so they could focus on finding every way to use this for a political victory here.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A paramilitary / terrorist organization from a territory right on Israel's border (a mile away) launched 3,000 rockets and then invaded on October 7. They killed more than 1100 people and took more than 200 hostages, and committed some pretty sick atrocities in the process of murdering that many people.

In the aftermath, Hamas' spokesman said, "We must teach Israel a lesson, and we will do this again and again. The Al-Aqsa Flood is just the first time, and there will be a second, a third, a fourth. Because we have the determination...to fight."

If you want to debate whether that is an "existential threat," knock yourself out. But what happened, along with that continued threat, was not a "mosquito bite," as you put it.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Israelis aren’t really talking about Netanyahu. They formed a unity government. They might as well given him a blank check until the war ends, which means he’ll never end it.

I think your issue re: American politicians should be all the bandwagon jumpers who now claim they support Israel. I respect Tlaib etc. in the sense that they haven’t changed their positions since pre-war and they’re intellectually honest with their constituents.

Draft saved Draft deleted