1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

You are on private property. You don't have the same Constitutional right and you either explicitly (signs outside the entrance) or implicitly grant the property owner certain rights.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Aren't the cashiers "stopping you from leaving"?

Receipt checkers are just another layer to the checkout process. They aren't "imprisoning" you any more than a long checkout line is --- which you likely a avoided by going through the self-checkout kiosks. . . . which is ostensibly why receipt checkers are needed.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's against the law to falsely imprison someone, regardless of where you do it. The only right they have is to tell you to leave their property -- or trespass you if you refuse to leave.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As interesting a threadjack as this is, unless we're arguing that there should be an astigmatic 70-year-old in a blue vest checking receipts at the Rafah Crossing, I'm not sure exactly why we're having it here.

5. The Big Ragu

You don't need a cashier's permission to simply leave a store. You are free to just walk out.

If you want to leave with their property (merchandise they are selling), legally you need to transact with them first. ... or you are stealing.

The minute you hand over the amount of money they want for their merchandise, and they hand you a receipt. ... it's your property. You are as free to walk out of the store as you were when you didn't have their property in your possession.

When you come to a receipt checker, if you decide to tell him or her to get bent and keep walking. ... legally you should be A OK. You have not done anything illegal, you have not stolen. So if they try to detain you, it should be false imprisonment. Legally, they would need probable cause to detain you against your will, and I don't see how they have it unless they saw you actually steal something.

I keep italicizing things, though, because I have no idea what various courts have actually done with this.

franticscribe likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

I'm sorry. I got carried away. I'll let it go. You're right.

Azrael likes this.
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Tsk, tsk, tsk ... ableist/ageist tropes do not look good on you.

Azrael likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Point taken.

I'll amend.

". . . unless we're arguing that there should be a hale, handsome, blue-eyed straightbacked and angry retired sports writer in a blue vest checking receipts . . ."

2muchcoffeeman and doctorquant like this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Costco near me has had the receipt checkers long before they ever had self-checkout kiosks.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Atlas Shrugged Because He Couldn’t Check Receipts In Front of the Automatic Doors was considered too unwieldy a title by focus groups.

FileNotFound likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

However Fiona Apple loves it as the title of an album.

TigerVols and Big Circus like this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Bring it.
    The old salt in me who used to be a bridge wing sniper with an M-14 and at other times manned a Ma Deuce 50-cal just got a chubby.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middl...ships-if-washington-targets-yemen-2023-12-20/

DUBAI, Dec 20 (Reuters) - The leader of Yemen's Houthis warned on Wednesday they would strike U.S. warships if the Iranian-backed militia was targeted by Washington, which this week set up a multinational force to counter Houthi attacks on commercial vessels in the Red Sea.

Draft saved Draft deleted