1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hold that thought the next time you fill up.

Oil and gas prices surge as BP stops Red Sea shipments following Houthi attacks | CNN Business

Fears of higher oil, gas prices rise as shippers avoid Red Sea due to Houthi attacks

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

dixiehack likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yep. That's pretty much of job of every navy throughout history... protect your nation's interest at sea.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Why don’t you tell me what’s going on, Donald Tusk? Why won’t you tell me who’s on the phone?

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Operation Prosperity Guardian

US announces naval coalition to defend Red Sea shipping from Houthi attacks

The US has announced the creation of an enhanced naval protection force operating in the southern Red Sea in an attempt to ward off mounting attacks from Yemen’s rebel Houthis on merchant shipping.

Britain said it would be among the countries participating but notable absentees were Arab nations Egypt and Saudi Arabia, while analysts speculated that shipping would continue to be disrupted and attacks continue.

Lloyd Austin, the US defence secretary, said the new effort would be called Operation Prosperity Guardian and was necessary to tackle the “recent escalation in reckless Houthi attacks originating from Yemen”.

Other participants in the effort, Austin said, included Bahrain, Canada, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Seychelles and Spain.

But it was not clear it had any immediate impact on securing the strategic waterway, through which an estimated 50 merchant ships normally pass each day, heading to and from the Suez canal, often transiting between Asia and Europe.

Driftwood likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Macron.

Fighting terrorism did not mean Israel had to ‘flatten Gaza’, says Emmanuel Macron

Emmanuel Macron has said that Israel’s goal of fighting terrorism did not mean it had to “flatten Gaza”, referring to its response to Hamas’s attack on 7 October.

“We cannot let the idea take root that an efficient fight against terrorism implies to flatten Gaza or attack civilian populations indiscriminately,” Macron told the France 5 broadcaster.

The French president called on Israel “to stop this response because it is not appropriate, because all lives are worth the same and we defend them”.

While acknowledging “Israel’s right to defend itself and fight terror”, Macron said France called for the protection of civilians and “a truce leading to a humanitarian ceasefire”.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I never knew that "Macron" was French for "strawman."

OscarMadison and Azrael like this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Me? I'd add the 'a' and make a pretty cookie if I had my druthers.

Southern-Living_Macarons_025-0e05e0cd226d44609f55ed8bc9cd3a3e.jpg

but it's also a diacritical for the long vowel.
    Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 8.27.41 AM.png

OscarMadison and doctorquant like this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Who says jacking around on sportsjournalists.com doesn't build one's intellect?

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted