1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

ok

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveb...ith-congo-others-on-taking-in-gaza-emigrants/

The Times of Israel’s Hebrew sister-site Zman Yisrael reports that Israeli officials have held clandestine talks with the African nation of Congo and several others for the potential acceptance of Gaza emigrants.

“Congo will be willing to take in migrants, and we’re in talks with others,” a senior source in the security cabinet tells Shalom Yerushalmi.

Yerushalmi quotes Intelligence Minister Gila Gamliel saying at the Knesset yesterday: “At the end of the war Hamas rule will collapse, there are no municipal authorities, the civilian population will be entirely dependent on humanitarian aid. There will be no work, and 60% of Gaza’s agricultural land will become security buffer zones.”

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

This is up there with Britain sending asylum seekers to Rwanda as craziest plan that has no regard for the people affected

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

collateral damage

How a Proxy Fight Over Campus Politics Brought Down Harvard’s President

The resignation of Harvard’s president, Claudine Gay, on Tuesday followed a lengthening catalog of plagiarism allegations that appeared to steadily sap her support among the university’s faculty, students and alumni. But for many of Dr. Gay’s critics, her departure was also a proxy victory in the escalating ideological battle over American higher education.

Taking down Dr. Gay was a “a huge scalp” in the “fight for civilizational sanity,” Josh Hammer, a conservative talk show host and writer, wrote on the social media platform X.

A crushing loss to D.E.I., wokeism, antisemitism & university elitism,” wrote the conservative commentator Liz Wheeler.

“This is the beginning of the end for D.E.I. in America’s institutions,” said the conservative activist Christopher Rufo, who had helped publicize the plagiarism allegations.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

McCarthyite witch hunt?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Her resignation letter did make sure to point out that she was subject to "personal attacks and threats fueled by racial animus."

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Growing plants without soil is called hydroponic

Legislating without good faith is called Stefanik

7. The Big Ragu

Bill Ackman makes my posts on here seem like nothing. He's also as full of himself as ever.

But he's not entirely wrong about the DEI stuff and the whacked ideology that put Claudine Gay in that job in the first place. What he doesn't mention is the careers she destroyed along the way. It's interesting that anyone would call what happened to her McCarthyism, because she has been an expert at using the word "racism" as a weapon to advance herself and destroy others throughout her career.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Interesting though how Stefanik took that line of questioning, and Rufo had the plagiarism stuff all cued up.

Almost as if the target all along was DEI.

9. The Big Ragu

It was their target all along.

They are operatives in the dumb "culture wars" that are poisoning the country.

Those universities gave them the opening and they ran with it. It spiraled when those presidents showed their stripes. I knew Liz Magill was a goner. I really thought that Harvard would batten down the hatches, and they did everything they could, but I guess the barrage was too much. Of note, nobody from the board is resigning.

Azrael likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Plagiarism is either wrong across the board or it's not.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'd ask @doctorquant to weigh in on this, but there's a little more "flexibility" in academic writing because it's so citation-heavy.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Just to clarify the "McCarthy" thing, I'm referring in part to the high-profile accusation and counter-accusation coming out of Congressional hearings. A witch hunt for sure, but televised and with an official imprimatur.

Draft saved Draft deleted