1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

A guy can hope, can't he? (Then again, I doubt the next one is going to be a lot better.)

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Natalie Wood could've used a good stroke.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

TOO SOON!

4. Twirling Time

Whoever replaces Xi will be an order of magnitude more authoritarian. My uncle said that's why they didn't frag their louie in Nam.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Do the Russians fuck with China online too or have they decided they don’t want that smoke?

6. Twirling Time

China is their best friend right now, with Iran and North Korea getting invited to the Mean Girls table for now.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Premier Li Qiang is next in the chain of command, but he's both an economic policy wonk and seen as a close lieutenant of Xi Jinping who was promoted as much for his loyalty as his ability. Without Xi to give him cover, there's bound to be a knife fight to fill the power vacuum should a long-term vacancy open up at the top. The Shanghai Clique and Youth League factions are still out there despite Xi's best efforts. I'd say there's no one on the bench with the kind of maneuvering and ruthlessness Xi has showed, but then how many people saw this level of paramount leader in Xi?

As for rumors of Xi's stroke, from what I've seen so far it's as much wishcasting as fact. Given that Falun Gong and its supporters appear to be some of the biggest amplifiers of the rumor, take it with the requisite boulder of salt.

TigerVols likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying both of these things are true:

1/The U.S. supports Israel and its right to defend itself.
    2/The plight of the Gaza civilians is unacceptable and Israel needs to address its role in the situation.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No. There was a statement from the White House the other day acknowledging the visit would happen and noting that it isn’t uncommon for major party nominees to meet with foreign leaders.

Azrael likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted