1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In terms of that information war, those false early reports had the desired outcome all over the middle east.

Gaza hospital explosion sparks anger and protests in Arab countries | CNN

Several Arab countries, including Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and Iraq issued statements condemning Israel and accusing its military of bombing the hospital.

Meanwhile, thousands of protesters shouting anti-Israel slogans gathered in Lebanon, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Egypt, and Tunisia. Protests also rocked the occupied West Bank city of Ramallah.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Probably a Navy E-2 Hawkeye off our carrier. They might have an actual AWACS stoogeing around in the area, but the Navy has a slightly less capable ELINT bird that could easily monitor things. Of course, even if they did have a missile from Lebanon on screen there will be claims that it was faked.

Frankly, I wouldn't put it past Hamas to have packed the hospital basement full of explosives and then blowing it up themselves.

2muchcoffeeman and Batman like this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

We are or were journalists right? We really going to make declarative statements based on one photo from an interested party?

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"Desired outcome" or "forgone conclusion?" Anger toward and protests against Israel would seem, to me, to fall into the "as night follows day" category.

Azrael likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sure. But the hospital explosion provides the specific occasion, the incentive and the cover story for these actions elsewhere.

And look how fast that first report of a "hospital bombing" burned through the wire services, the big papers and social media.

I'd guess there are still plenty of people in the West today who think it was an IDF attack.

Maybe we should call it the 'disinformation war.'

franticscribe and doctorquant like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There's plenty of disinfo out there. Personally, I need to see some solid evidence from a source I trust before I can make a real judgement. That said, Israel would have to be incredibly stupid to have deliberately hit that hospital, and having it hit served Hamas' propaganda aims very well indeed. As I said above, I would not find a deliberate explosion by Hamas unbelievable, and their siting a missile launcher in a hospital parking lot fits their pattern of using civilians and civilian structures as cover against strikes on them. The only thing I find a bit unbelievable is that it was turned into propaganda that quickly, but I suppose that was an obvious play once it happened.

It is incredibly important that Biden succeeds in persuading Israel not to go into Gaza with a full bore invasion, breaking everything in sight. At this point that very well might trigger a larger war, and no one wants to see that happen except those who wish to see Israel destroyed.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You talked about how even if both sides try to limit casualties ... This current conflict began with one side targeting hundreds of non-combatants, and that side just bombed their own hospital. Your comments were a disgusting equivocation that is beyond the pale.

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

You quoted yourself, super genius tough guy.

Saying it’s awful that many innocent people are going to die is an odd thing to attack here. It’s not an equivocation to the evil of Hamas.

You’re making stuff up.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2023
    TheSportsPredictor and Webster like this.
  12. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Many people in this country will still swear up and down that Donald Trump had the 2020 election stolen from him.

Draft saved Draft deleted