1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet the Press (Senate debate series)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Oct 1, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Of course the country as a whole is pretty evenly split, but that certainly isn't the case in newsrooms. Just look at an average collection of journalists, say on a message board perhaps. The numbers skew overwhelmingly liberal. I think that's an accurate representation of most newsrooms, at least the five I've worked in.

2. dog428

dog428 Active Member

It depends on where your newsroom is located. In the deep south, they're definitely leaning more to the right. Middle of the country, about even. Out west, left. Northeast, left. But it's still a pretty even split.

And even if -- IF -- the left has slightly more representation in newsrooms, it's not enough to support this idea that the right is being crushed by some liberal media agenda. So, stop whining about it.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

I never said anything about an agenda. The whining's all you, dog.

I've worked in newsrooms in the South and the middle of the country. They were essentially the same, with the South actually being more liberal. I don't know if you know this, but people come from different parts of the country to work in any given newsroom; therefore, the location of a newsroom doesn't have much to do with the politics of the rank and file.

Now go review a movie or something.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Well, the deed is done. I shook hands with the man, spoke about good old Mansfield, Ohio, then I dry-humped his leg while yelling "Death to Republicans! Death to Republicans!" to the tour group. And now, comes the end of the world in a firey, sulphurous explosion. ::)

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Bullshit. I'm willing to bet that until you start talking about the 250k-plus circ. papers out there, 90 percent of the people employed in every newsroom grew up in the same region of the country as the paper for which they work.

And the idiotic whining about some goofy liberal media agenda from you and lyman is what's carried this thread to two pages. I've only pointed out how dumb it is.

6. Of course, you aren't telling the whole story. I also said I'd jump at the chance to have dinner with Clinton, too, or any president, for that matter.

And there is no way -- no way in hell -- that most newsrooms in this country are balanced politically. All the ones I've worked at skew strongly to the left.

7. No, your bending over backwards to justify your behavior is what's pathetic.

I must say, you all learned from Clinton well. You can rationalize anything, so long as the people in question have a "D" after their names.

Meanwhile, circulation keeps on sliding ...

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I do this at least once a week.

9. Hey, at least you admit it. :)

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

OTR loves him some leg-humpin'.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. Explain, please. How am I bending over backwards to justify shaking a man's hand? And how your coach supposition complete my analogy?

12. killick --
    You're new around here.
    Drop a penny in his cup and walk on by.

Draft saved Draft deleted