1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's suit, pants question -- cuffs or no cuffs?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

[​IMG]

Look at them pleats! :eek:

[​IMG]

Look at them cuffs! :eek:

Old fogey you say!?!?

8) 8) 8)

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I rest my case on cuffs = old fart :D

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Joe Paterno: American fashion icon.

That photo says everything that's wrong with the way a lot of North American men dress.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Those aren't cuffs. Those are pants folded up once or twice so that ... who knows why the hell he does that?

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Never heard of the Johnstown Flood?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I go back to what I said before: cuffs depend on the type of suit you're buying.

On a traditional Ivy League suit, it's OK but putting cuffs on one of the new slim cut suits is just wrong.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Cuffs on suit pants or slacks - yes.
    Cuffs on jeans or Dockers - no.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I have found, over time, that Frank gives excellent advice on this topic.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have nothing against plain front pants at all. I just htink when you are a tad bigger than you should be - OK, a lot bigger - they look funny. I have some flat-front, no cuff khakis that are my totally casual pants. I wear a sweater or an untucked shirt with them because otherwise I look like more of a whale than usual.
    I am, of course, the king of style.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

When pleats went into style it was a blessing for overweight men, giving them some more room to work with. I have a lean build and it became pretty difficult to even find plain front pants for years. I'm happy to find them again. I also like fairly narrow lapels and narrow ties, which were also difficult to find until the last year or so.

Cuffs drape better and, to me, are a must with dress slacks and suits.

Also, having read many of these threads, there's no one on SportsJournalists.com who knows clothes better than Ridgeway.

11. boots

boots New Member

It should be noted that khakis with pleats and TAILORED cuffs are great. That's what I wear. And Big Guys, you know who you are, look good in them.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

There is a school of thought that pleated khakis are more traditional in the South and plain-front more traditional in the Northeast.

I don't read GQ anymore, but I noticed about a month ago there was a teaser on the cover about untucked shirts making people look fatter (or maybe they mean it makes people look like they're trying to hide the extra girth). I went to the Web site now, but they don't seem to have a search function.

You like Brooks Brothers. Their Oxford cotton buttondowns are cut nice and full so they don't strain against the gut when tucked. Land's End's are, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted