1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mets getting a crack at Matsuzaka?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by thebiglead, Dec 11, 2006.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And if the teams negotiating with Boras have any sense at all, that line of bullshit will get him nowhere. Helps to be able to throw Boras's own words back in his face, which they can do here.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Somehow, I don't see 30 teams passing up the chance to sign Zito just to teach Scott Boras a lesson. The market has already been established.

3. KP

KP Active Member

Matsuzaka has arrived on John Henry's private plane at Hanscom. No signal from anyone getting off the plane that a deal has been done.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Red Sox spent a bit over 100 mil to get DMat. DMat gets 54 or so. Bora$ can spin it anyway he likes and the media will report it as fact. But Bora$' fee will come from the checks the RedSox give to DMat, and none from the check sent to Japan. And as a bottom line guy, Bora$ got his client about $54 mil, 9 mil a year for 6 years, Bora$ lost the round.

5. outofplace

More reading comprehension problems. Let me explain it to you Cranberry. I never said anything about teams not wanting to sign Zito to teach Boras a lesson.

I said that if Boras tries to use a $103 million dollar figure for Matsuzaka as an argument in the Zito negotiations, any team with any sense will either ignore that argument or call it bullshit.

That doesn't mean they won't go after Zito. It means that Matsuzaka's contract is for $52 million over six years and that really won't help Zito's cause.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

One thing, Oop, Bor-ass' numbers for Zito all along have been 6 years, $17 mill per average....that equals $102 mill by my math.

And, no, he doesn't have to use Matsuzaka..he'll use Jason Shit, er, Schmidt, getting $15 mill+ per year as a measuring stick.

7. outofplace

And, as I said, Matsuzaka didn't get $102 million. He got $52 million. The posting isn't part of the contract and Boras himself said it shouldn't be.

Schmidt's deal is a better measuring stick, though he is a better pitcher than you are giving him credit for. Actually, I thought he would have been a better fit for the Mets, being more of a power pitcher. And the heck with youth. This is a Mets team that has a chance to win it all now and I would not be surprised at all to see Schmidt pitch better than Zito in 2007.

Schmidt had the better numbers last year and on average over the last three seasons, though you can attribute much of that to being in the National League. Zito may have been the most valuable free agent on this market, but he hasn't shown any signs of returning to his Cy Young form over the last three seasons.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree on Schmidt. Would much rather invest three years in a power pitcher admittedly beginning the downside of his career than six years on the soft-tossing Zito.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Mets would be better served trying to pry Harden from the A's than overpaying for Zito.

10. outofplace

Agreed, but I'm not sure how realistic that is. And it has the potential to blow up in the Mets faces if he gets hurt again. Harden is a dominant pitcher if he can stay healthy, but so far he's given little indication that he can do that.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

^BC-APNewsAlert,0036
    BOSTON (AP) — Daisuke Matsuzaka and the Red Sox have reached a preliminary agreement on a $52 million, six-year deal.

Thanks AP for informing all of us at 10:16 p.m. at night. I guess we should all rip up our front pages to get this breaking news in the paper.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd love to see Harden on the Mets, because I do not like the Mets.

No way that guy makes it thru next year without his valuable elbow ligament snapping like a twig.

Draft saved Draft deleted