1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mic drop: The 2024 RIP thread for musicians

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 16, 2024.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Huggy and maumann like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Aw, man. RIP.

3. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

At risk of this not being the right forum for it, I dislike running threads. Always have. This place is worse for them.

Lumping in all the dead people for our convenience sucks.

Deceased musicians deserve their own threads. Alive musicians deserve their own threads. You can replace "musicians" in the previous two sentences with any number of other topics.

Sorry, I know this thread was created with honorable intentions, but this was a bridge too far for me.

FileNotFound likes this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Why does the left hate the Obituary page? Why not put out special editions for every dead body?

I'm not a moderator nor a spokesman for this site, but I'll post a rebuttal.

There are almost 27,000 separate threads just in this forum alone. Making a "dead musician" thread or "motorsports" thread does a number of really good things.

1. Keeps people from double posting the same story.
    2. Keeps all pertinent information about a topic in one place.
    3. Allows for more views and replies within one place.
    4. Limits the number of unread threads when I sign on.
    5. Keeps the most popular 20 threads on the first page.

Nobody needs a "RIP Jo-El Sonnier" thread if 99 percent of us have no idea who Jo-El Sonnier is, but it's nice to know the one or two who do can link that information to an existing thread. I saw recently where the guy who hit No. 1 with "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" in 1955 died but didn't think it even important enough for here, let alone a separate post.

I covered auto racing for most of my career. I don't want to have to go searching for multiple places to read "RIP Ryan Pemberton," "The Clash at the Coliseum," "German guy fired at Haas," etc. when it's all in one place. Newspaper people are used to briefs and roundups. That's what we do, even when we're not getting paid.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Decent arguments, YMCA, but ... this.

misterbc and Neutral Corner like this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's not like major musicians won't get an RIP thread. This is more for smaller artists, sidemen, other guys in a band, people whose RIP thread would get a "Who?" from most of the board.

franticscribe and misterbc like this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I feel bad for people who get RIP threads with only a couple responses.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Tighthead likes this.
  9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

So, instead of “Will Phil Collins make 1A?” the question will be “Does Phil Collins deserve his own thread?”

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Against all odds, I'd say, "yes."

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Oh Lord.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I saw that movie on a double date in high school.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted