1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michelle Branch helps make Billboard chart history

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, something's goofy. Where's "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia? I was of the understanding that was the biggest chart hit of the 90s.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I want to tear the radio out my car when that shit comes on. Has to be the most overplayed song of the last 10 years or so.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

It was never released as a single, so it was ineligible to chart on the Hot 100 under its rules at the time. It was No. 1 on the airplay chart for about 17 weeks, so it's reasonable to assume it would have been a monster No. 1 hit on the big chart.

"Men In Black," "Don't Speak," and "I'll Be There For You" are some of the other songs that should have been No. 1 hits. In the latter's case, the Rembrandts did finally release it as a single but it was months after it had peaked on the airplay lists.

Nowadays, the Hot 100 is a song chart, not a singles chart.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fair enough, JJ.

I do remember being in Britain in 1992 and hearing the question "Who the fuck keeps buying that naff Bryan Adams song?"

Draft saved Draft deleted