1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I have never seen a shot to left field like that. The only one I can compare it to was Bonds' shot to right field in the 02 WS that went down the entry way.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I saw Sosa hit one like that once, maybe it was in the NLCS against Florida. There's nothing like seeing a ball take off like that, live. The other one I recall live was Tony Armas reaching the center field bleachers at Old Comiskey Park, which were 440 feet dead center and over a pretty tall wall.

EDIT: A list of people who reached those bleachers in 80 years:

3) Dick Allen and Richie Zisk. The other five were Foxx, Greenberg, Alex Johnson, Tony Armas and George Bell.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

When he was with the Angels, Vlad Guerrero would hit these screaming line drives like that. They'd would literally dent the outfield walls at the Ballpark in Arlington. I mean, you'd blink and the ball would be bouncing off the wall.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

McGwire hit one off Randy Johnson that measured 538 feet. It disappeared into the Kingdome concourse.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Doesn’t count. Orioles are not real major league team.
    5 post season appearances in 34 years (that includes their loss in the 1 game ALWC). No pennants.
    Only Milwaukee and Seattle have not won an AL Pennant since the O’s last won one.
    Has it really been 24 years that Milwaukee has been in the NL? Selig idea of getting them out of the AL East and into a weaker NL Central didn’t work.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The Canseco upper deck job at the Skydome was teed off like that.

8. BrownScribe

BrownScribe Active Member

Yeah, Riley is off to a hot start. I am still a little skeptical of him, but if he pans out, really C and another OF maybe, and the Braves have a nice offensive nucleus to build around. Maybe Coppy knew what he was doing after all, before he cheated lol.

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

As a kid I used to stand on the other side of Trumbull Ave.. in Detroit and try to fathom Mickey Mantle’s home run reaching that point after going over the Tiger Stadium roof.

John B. Foster likes this.
  10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

I was actually attendance for this game:

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well, with only a team option through 2019, he's definitely tradeable ... and would bring back a decent sized haul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.