1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Not today!!!!

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

He's throwing 99-100 mph fastballs and 89 mph splitters.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And. it's over.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes. Me. He sucks.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As always, a lot will hinge on which stars will play through to the end and which they will rest for an anticipated run in 2023.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

So we know Ohtani can dominate the A's, what about the rest of the league. It'll be interesting if he pitches in an NL ballpark and bats, too. Wonder where Scioscia will put him in the order.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I smell an ESPN fakakta stat!
    "Ohtani is the first starting pitcher to bat in the first inning, when his team did not bat around, since ..."

ChrisLong likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I would really be interested to see who the last guy to do that was. Maybe somebody for the Cubs, since Maddon sometimes hits his pitcher 8th? Maybe some guy for the late 1950s Yankees, when Stengel sometimes hit Bobby Richardson ninth?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I’d be surprised if Ohtani bats higher than eighth while he’s pitching. Otherwise you’re setting yourself up for some big headaches and potentially running out of players quicker in the late innings.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's a way around it. If he can play the outfield, you bat the right fielder ninth, then stick Ohtani out in right field after he's done pitching. Then you keep Ohtani in the middle of the lineup, and the pitcher's spot becomes the traditional No. 9 slot in the order.
    If Ohtani gets shelled and has to leave early, you can probably accomplish the same thing with a double switch.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He doesn’t play the field. Or at least he hasn’t, and I thought the plan was he wouldn’t.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Where has he been hitting? Could always bat him first, get him an extra AB while he's in the game, and then it's more or less the same as him batting ninth once he's out and the lineup has been shuffled during the course of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.