1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

No Ohtani again tonight.

Maybe Scioscia knows he's a terrible hitter.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

At this rate he ain't getting to 78 homers, or even 80.

poindexter likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's like the blackjack player who walks away after winning $100 in 10 minutes.

That's as good as it's going to get.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He may, and probably is, a good hitter.

My argument is simply that it is too soon to declare as "spectacularly wrong" scouts who asserted that he will be "not good."

I'm not sure why this is so controversial here.

5. poindexter

You're arguing it longer than the guy who wrote it. He threw in the towel days ago, and is sitting back cracking open a beer.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Even if this winds up being baseball Linsanity, it's pretty cool.

7. Dick Whitman

So what? He's also wrong to decide after 19 at-bats that he was wrong. He doesn't have a monopoly on determining whether his initial piece was wrong. (In fact, all it was was a piece quoting scouts. I'm not sure what he was "wrong" about.)

I hope Ohtani bats .300/.400/.500 this season. But I hope that en route, he goes about 0 for his next 50.

poindexter likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

How much does it suck that this fucker hasn't faced a pitch since this discussion began?

9. poindexter

It makes it worth watching this spring/summer. Name a time/game #/PA number that you think is 'enough time'. At that point, one of us is going to give the other an "in your face!" about it.

10. poindexter

He appears to be on a 3 DH/week plan. But then Sosh starts messing with platoons, and who knows what his playing time is going to be.

11. Dick Whitman

But that doesn't matter. If he's batting .800 at the All-Star Break, 19 plate appearances was still too early to declare that the scouts were already "proven spectacularly wrong."

12. poindexter

Stop. He's an A1 talent. 30 teams were coveting him. He knocked the frigging cover off the ball the first two weeks of the season, he wasn't lucking into some bloop hits the first two weeks. The eye test, stats and peripherals from the first two weeks*do* mean something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.