1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Nothing spectators like more than pitching changes. That's why the All-Star game gets such great ratings. Then they wonder why games take longer. Maybe it works as a strategy for winning, but as a marketing strategy, you couldn't do worse.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You’re 100 percent correct. And I don’t know what can be done about it. It’s like a bug built into the game.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I'm actually okay with the way the game is going because it's often relievers pitching for an entire inning.

The bullpen usage I couldn't stand was the push-button match-up usage that developed in the 1990s where a lefty would come in and throw two pitches.

Changes to start innings are not an issue for me. In-inning changes make it hard to watch.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I watch a lot less baseball than I used to. How are we doing with the Papi/Nomar guys who go through a whole routine in the box after every pitch?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Instead of requiring pitchers to face one batter, require them to face two.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Joe Sheehan has a fairly radical concept that I'd like to see adopted (though I don't think it would ever would): a pitcher must face six batters or give up a run before he can be removed.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Bartolo showed pretty good reflexes last night. Pujols hit a liner back at him, he got his glove on it and the ball popped up to the second baseman. Runner doubled off first. However, it was 11-1 and I think the guy on first was laughing so hard he didn't even try to get back to the base.

8. LongTimeListener

Six seems extreme.

If you eliminate the possibility of batter-on-batter matchup -- LOOGYs, essentially -- a large proportion of the problem goes away.

Bochy is the best at it. Especially in the playoffs. But my God, sometimes I think he's doing it just to run a four corners on the other team.

9. LongTimeListener

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This has been the talk of my Facebook feed the last two days - mostly giddy Cubs fans who totally don't care about the White Sox.

It's tiresome. It's an organization that is openly in the process of a tear down, playing a 1-8 opponent on a 25-degree weekday in April.

Before the Cubs became a thing in the '80s, they had plenty of days like that at Six Flags Lakeview.

Like a friend of mine said, 974 is also the over-under number of fans in attendance at Wrigley Field on a standard day who could name three current Cubs players.

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What would baseball do without Marc Smith Rzepczynski?

loogy.jpg

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Who was older?

Michael_ Gee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.