1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'll leave it to eight major league scouts, and a yahoo writer who transcribes them, to determine if he is a shitty base runner.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Whoever said it was wrong. Provably and demonstrably.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They gave a statistical projection for the entire season, so no, a fast start does not conclusively prove that wrong.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Where does Dick ever say he agreed with the opinion that he wasn’t ready? He’s arguing the sample size and I’m sure he wouldn’t make an assessment based on 14 plate appearances either.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I never said he agreed with it. I said he's defending with it. I have also pointed out that all through this discussion, he has railed against the use of a small sample size during the season while expressing no problem at all with the even smaller sample size used by the scouts in spring training.

If you're going to try to claim a gotcha moment by splitting hairs, do better.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm wondering what @Dick Whitman would be writing today if Ohtani was 1 for 22 with 13 strikeouts and 0 homers and 0 RBIs.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

First of all, I would not be writing that the scouts in Passan's column had been "proven . . . spectacularly correct," I can assure you of that.

Second of all, fuck RBIs.

8. Songbird

You know, the thing the anti-RBI'ers don't get is that somefuckingone has to plate score the runners with hits or SFs or walks or whatever.

9. Dick Whitman

No, we get that.

10. Songbird

Then WTF is the rub? Your Ohtani argument has more validity than whatever your argument against RBIs is.

11. Dick Whitman

My argument against RBIs is that it is so highly dependent upon the performance of other players so as to render it relatively useless as compared to statistics that isolate the hitter's performance.

12. Songbird

Great, isolate the hitter's performance with newfangled sabermetrica. I'm fine with that.

I agree that RBI opportunities are dependent upon the performance of other players.

At the same time, someone's gotta bring those runners around. It's a legitimate stat.

bigpern23 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.