1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Batman likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It would be worth figuring out. That’s an entire summer series in waiting. You could get away for an actual vacation!

Batman likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There are apps and smartphone friendly plug-in devices that have made scanning negatives and slides easy-peasy.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sounds like the Denver Broncos all over again:

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's like when Mrs. Pynchon's greedy nephews tried to yoink The Tribune away and use it to bankroll taco trucks.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Slide scanner: Amazon.com : Slide & Negative Scanners

Batman and Hermes like this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The nephews were right. A fleet of taco trucks purchased back then would've offered about 100 times the ROI on a newspaper.

2muchcoffeeman and dixiehack like this.
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Was my biggest fear after my sister and her family were killed. Granted, the estate wasn't in the billions of dollars, but it was in the multi-millions. With six beneficiaries from both sides of the family. And -- surprise! -- I was the executor of the estates. It consumed my life for more than three years.

I/we got very lucky. We all worked well together, rationally discussed things as they came up (and there were many) and came together for the betterment of all involved. Including the distribution of of their assets, especially since it was not an even six-way split.

The Broncos situation was very ugly. This sounds just as bad.

maumann likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Just go ahead and begin your home run trots that one is a no doubter splash hit

Batman and maumann like this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Considering I've been here 25 years already, nobody in the industry is beating down my door with a plum job offer, and I'm only in my mid-40s, I'm not too worried yet about my successor. My paper will probably go out of business before I voluntarily leave.

But I would like to get some sort of negative scanner, even if I have to buy one myself. Those slides from the 50s are just the tip of the iceberg. We have three or four large drawers of the same filing cabinet, as well as a 2-foot high by 15-foot long wall of binders filled with negatives in the basement of the office. Same deal, where we can't throw them away because it's 20 years of irreplaceable photos, yet they take up so much space and are so rarely needed that it's sometimes hard to justify keeping them around.
    Of course, digitizing them all might take months.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Old photos, slides, negatives?

download (2).jpeg

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The local historian in me would never let me do that.

Draft saved Draft deleted