1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was going for understatement there. They showed a throw on MLB Network that Statcast as the fastest infield throw in the majors this season. They were making Shawon Dunston comparisons, and they weren't wrong. Despite his size, he is actually pretty smooth at short. He also hits the ball extremely hard and he's got speed. He also strikes out too much and makes too many errors, but he's going to be fun to watch.

2. Brian J Walter

Brian J Walter Well-Known Member

What qualifies as striking out too much these days? And do the analytic types even care about that, or is there a threshold where not putting balls into play starts bothering them?

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

He’s the fastest guy on the Pirates right now. He can leg out balls hit to deep short and third.

4. Brian J Walter

I'm guessing they don't want him hitting ground balls to deep short and third, though. And strikeout totals are padded by guys concerned with launch angle and exit vee-low (which I feel weird even typing). You strike out swinging for the downs, you're probably not thinking, "If I'd cut that down a little, I might have hit a sharp grounder in the hole."

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Cleveland decided to zag and stop striking out. It’s a bet that that market inefficiency pays off.

6. Brian J Walter

Three of the top four MLB teams at not striking out are in the AL Central. I'm guessing that's a reflection of the Tigers' pitching staff more than anything those teams are doing. Cleveland also is going against the grain in hitting no home runs (the Central has four of the worst five HR-hitting teams in baseball, too -- what thrilling baseball must be coming out of that foursome).

7. outofplace

From what I've read, there is concern that he might not hit for much of an average. That said, check out the highlights. It wasn't just the throw that impressed me. It was the double he hit. It was hit where a ball would usually be a single, but the center fielder just couldn't get in front of it because it was hit so damn hard.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I’m guessing the White Sox are the team that swings for home runs. And with the way they’re pitching, they sure need ‘em.

Tonight they hit four HRs, banged out 13 hits and had to hold on for an 8-7 win over visiting Toronto.

Fun game to attend for this Sox fan, though. Went with the family as we’re in Chicago this week. Seats in RF were $20 each, five rows back of the Blue Jays bullpen — good view and definitely home run territory tonight!

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Didn't he have their hardest hit of the Statcast era last year? I guess it wasn't hard enough. #TWSS

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The trainer reportedly broke the record for the four minute game day buffet.

From ESPN:

"Cash and an athletic trainer went out to Margot, who had a sprained knee and left the field on a cart."

11. outofplace

I believe that is correct. He also looked great in Spring Training, but they demoted him anyway. To be fair, he struggled offensively for most of April, which is why the AAA numbers aren't spectacular, but he has been a better option than some of the scrubs they have trotted out there all along.

Cruz will probably struggle at times, as Roansy Conteras, but both of those guys were easily good enough to be starting for the Pirates all along this season.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Strikes one and two, swing out of your shoes.

Once you have strike two, swing to get on base and make the starting pitcher throw more pitches. Plus, he’s a speed guy. It’s not like he’s a guy who couldn’t leg out a grounder in a tee ball game.

Draft saved Draft deleted