1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

While this Orioles run has been super fun, it brings up a major conundrum: What do you do at the trade deadline?

Look, this team isn't winning the World Series. And while making the playoffs would be nice, doing so while stunting the spirit of the rebuild would be fool's gold. The one guy I wouldn't trade just for the sake of trading is Mancini. If you get a haul for him, sure, go for it. But he's the sort of player a young team needs in the clubhouse. The rest of the guys -- Lopez, Odor, Santander -- you could easily part with, though I'm not sure you'd get a bucket of sunflower seeds for Odor anyway. Plus, it would open up some roster spots for guys like Grayson Rodriguez and Gunnar Henderson to get their feet wet this year while the team is competitive.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Don’t the Orioles get the Cubs next? There’s three more wins.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Two at the Cubs, three at the Rays, who inexplicably just got swept in Cincinnati this weekend.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

He should have won in '61, also.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I’m sorry but I hate this type of thinking; you’ve got to always try to win. Striping it down for what prospects? This just gets you back to where you started, trying to get to respectability.

You don’t go from last to WS champion, you’ve got to be kinda good first. Maybe in NFL or NBA but not baseball.

Keep your players and keep plugging away. That’s what I’d expect as a fan.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I understand your point. The players I'm referencing are not part of the future plan. Odor, Lyles and Mancini are impending free agents. The other two are a little more complex. And again, Elias is smart enough not to just trade for the sake of trading. If they're going to trade Santander and Lopez, in particular, there will have to be a significant return in either prospects or pitching. One thing you cannot do if you're the Orioles is starting trading high-level prospects for pieces that will help you win this year.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You dont deviate from a long term plan because you had a hot streak in July.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    Cosmo and ChrisLong like this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah. Even though those of my generation adored Mantle, in some ways he's often underrated and people forget how great he truly was.

Revisionist thinking about his partying, being a rude, selfish alcoholic and a shitty husband and father have sullied his reputation and many have passed his numbers. But between the ages of 22 and 30 or 31, he had few historic equals. And despite his many flaws, he was reportedly just a wonderful teammate and friend.

Dog8Cats and Splendid Splinter like this.
  9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Great at beaver shooting, too.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I never got to see Mantle play in person, he was gone (I think) by the time I started watch GOTW in '70. But damn I had a blast reading about the "Commerce Comet" in "Star Players of MLB" and other youth books.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Which is one of the things that made him a great teammate. He was just one of the guys.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

For the sake of perspective:

1951: 9 MLB hitters with 30+ home runs
    1961: 13
    1971: 11
    1981: ONE (1)
    1991: 12
    2001: 41
    2011: 24
    2021: 43

Among those with 30+ home runs last year: Franmil Reyes, Hunter Renfroe, Mike Zunino, Cedric Mullins, Adolis Garcia. Now, one or two of those might be favorites of someone, but ...

Draft saved Draft deleted