1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I wondered if part of that is that Joe Davis is the Dodgers TV announcer and if he was trying not to come off as a homer.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Dynasty is one of those words that gets thrown around almost as much as ESPN's use of "greatest ever."

The Astros aren't a dynasty yet, although they've retooled despite the departures of several key players and a managerial change. They weren't even considered the best team in their league for much of the season, let alone all of baseball.

Do the 1990s Braves count, even though they only won one World Series? They had a core group of four eventual Hall of Famers but they continued winning with different sets of role players over that timespan.

In fact, I'd go as far to say there hasn't been a dynasty in baseball since perhaps the late 1990s Yankees, if we're truly talking about a team that was the clear favorite every season. Before that, the 1970s Reds? Perhaps the Swinging A's? But you're still talking about being good for a relatively short period of time (in the latter case, because Finley was a cheapskate).

To be honest, dynasty begins and ends with the 1921-1964 Yankees.

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Joe Torre had an interesting comment in 2000 about how the Bills should have been considered a dynasty b/c it's so hard to get to a championship round four straight times. I'm of the belief that you've got to three-peat to be a dynasty, but he's not entirely wrong.

bigpern23, misterbc and maumann like this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bill Parcells was of the same opinion. Had a tirade one day about how nobody appreciated just how difficult what the Bills did was.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4 Super Bowls in a row. Lost all 4 of them.

That's nuts.

One of the great What-ifs ... what if Norwood actually made that kick?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And Norwood was actually a very good kicker. It’s been 35+ years, but I seem to recall he was terrific in the USFL and quite solid in the NFL. The 47-yarder was no gimme back then.

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

The Bills are either one-and-done as a champ, or they win three or more straight Super Bowls.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

More likely the former. And who knows? Maybe if they didn't have the sting of failure hitting them, they don't have the wherewithal to come back against the Oilers when they're down 35-3.

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“Buffalo 66” is a much different movie.

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The Four Falls of Buffalo, a 30 for 30, is a good watch for those interested in revisiting.

matt_garth likes this.
  11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Agreed, I lean towards one-and-done b/c the pain of coming so close kept them motivated for subsequent runs.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Props to the ump for letting Castillanos say his peace. You know Angel Hernandez tosses the entire Phillies’ bench for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted