1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We may never hear from Manky again.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The season went fast according to today’s LA Times.

Attached Files:

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

This sounds like the most Dudebro fantasy league ever created.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Has it come out yet what the ante for the league is? Jalen Rose has talked about one he's in with LeBron, and the entrance fee is either $10k or $100k per season. That could also explain why Trout and others have no desire to engage with what should be a kind of silly and stupid story.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'm reading "True," Kostya Kennedy's new book on Jackie Robinson. It's fabulous.

BUT (isn't there always a but?) in one chapter, he has Robinson making his batting debut for Montreal in a game at Jersey City in the bottom of the first. Uh, no. The Royals would have hit first.

Then later he writes about dramatic endings to WS games and lists the Maz walkoff HR vs. the Yankees as happening in 1961. Uh, no.

I know writing a book is difficult. And lord knows I made plenty of mistakes in my newspaper career. But how are such basic errors possible, with any kind of proofreading/factchecking by someone who knows anything about baseball, which you know has to happen for any published book by a reputable house like St. Martin's Press?

Anyhow, end of rant. Mistakes aside, it's a great read.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Somebody should ask Tim Anderson what he thinks about the book.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Was that snark? (Sorry if I missed it).

How about asking any MLB player regardless of skin color what they thought of it? Why is it that the default is the black guy should provide the opinion?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yes, it was snark. Did you miss the whole Anderson-Josh Donaldson dust up last week?

JC likes this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

According to this and some other sites, the home team wasn’t mandated to bat in the bottom of the inning until 1950. Prior to that, the home team could choose whether to bat in the top or the bottom of the inning. So maybe the Royals did bat in the bottom even though they were the visitors?

But yeah, the Mazeroski HR in ‘61 is a bad mistake.

Home Team Batting First and Marlins in San Juan » Baseball-Reference Blog » Blog Archive

Draft saved Draft deleted