1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2024 at 7:49 AM.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The Dodgers made the World Series the year after Vin Scully retired and he rejected all efforts to have him call a game on Dodgers radio. But he wasn’t an egomaniac blow hard.

2. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Why do I like this sport?

Gutter likes this.
  3. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

You’re right.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

On a personal note, a little bummed because I'm going to be in Milwaukee next Wednesday and Game 4 of the NLDS was going to be there if they Brew Crew advanced. Would have tried to find a way to sneak a last-minute ticket. Oh well.

5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

WHy has it taken this long for Skip to be a finalist for the Frick Award?

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Just like the 2 and 26 reference in the college football thread means something to Georgians and Alabamans, and nothing to west coasters (cross thread); I've lived my entire life knowing nothing about John Sterling, except reading it in places like here. Doesn't seem like I am missing anything.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

You are certainly not. I have always been amazed that an otherwise model franchise like the Yankees could have the worst radio broadcasters in MLB.

Fred siegle likes this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Same here. And the call at the end of a Yankee victory is the stuff of small town high school broadcasts.

9. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

He wasn't nearly such an insufferable clown with TBS. He was emboldened somewhere along the line to act the fool.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

We've been spoiled, Poin, having Scully, Hearn, Miller, Enberg, et. al. When I stumble across some broadcasters from the East Coast, it is stunning how really awful they are.

poindexter and MileHigh like this.
  11. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

I used to think that, but I think it's spotty everywhere. The Yankees are a horrid broadcast, but the Mets are very good. Phillies too.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted