1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2024 at 7:49 AM.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That ought to calm Bibee down.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Great question.

3. tapintoamerica

Twice. In 2018 and 2015.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Does the “a team must be down 8” to use a position player still apply in the postseason?

5. tapintoamerica

I think it’s 10.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Jeez it’s only 5-0 with 21 outs to go. Settle down. Did you not see the Mets put 8 on the Brewers in the 8th & 9th in GM 1??

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The rule for teams leading must be up 10 in the 9th, but teams trailing can use one once they go down 8 at any point. I was curious if that still applies in October.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember reading somewhere that the umps made Chambliss come back to touch home; only there wasn’t a home plate to touch. Someone had dug up the plate and taken it into the Bronx is Burning night. Apparently, there was some discussion over whether the run would count without a home plate to step on. Chambliss touched the empty spot where home plate had been.

Liut likes this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Hard to believe Spencer Torkelson was ever considered a top prospect. Dude can't fucking hit.

10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

WHo were the players?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Harris didn't draft him, so he has no stake in justifying his pick. Tigers need to upgrade in the offseason through a trade or FA signing; happily first basemen are usually available. My guess is that Kerry Carpenter may be tried out at 1B in the spring. I could see maybe giving Justyn-Henry Malloy a spin there as well -- he was an infielder most of his time in the minors so presumably he might make the shift as well.

maumann likes this.
  12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Just a perfect Game 1 situation for the Guardians. Bibee gets 75 pitches into the fifth with a five-run lead. Now they can get the bullpen some work with an off-day tomorrow.

We'll get 'em with Skubal in Game 2. Or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted