1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2024 at 7:49 AM.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Right now, I'm thinking Harris looks for a 1B and 3B in the offseason and packages Torkelson in a trade. Would Ilitch open the checkbook for Bregman?

Same idea with Mize/Manning. Those aren't his guys and Mize pissed him off with that $20,000 arbitration demand.

The Tigers could move Keith to 1B because they've got a ton of middle infielders available short- and long-term.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Bregman is 30, will be 31 next spring; if they signed him, I could see the option of shifting HIM to 1B in a season or two as part of the plan.

maumann likes this.
  3. maumann

That's actually a nice outing for Olson, retiring nine consecutive to finish with just two singles after the Thomas blast. Yeah, the big home run on his first pitch is what everybody will remember, but if he needs to go in Game 4, Hinch won't hesitate to get him back out there. I'd really rather him start, though.

4. Starman

Somewhere in this whole extravaganza, the Tigers need to get another high OBP guy for the top of the lineup. Too many low-average high-strikeout guys. Another guy like Vierling.

maumann likes this.
  5. Starman

Bregman is the kind of guy who makes sense:

He's not a megastar, but he's definitely a star level player. He'll make big money but not ridiculous.

Has the personal history with Hinch

Fills one -- or both -- of the glaring lineup holes.

At the age he should remain at a high level of play for a few years. The core of the team is 24-28, so you don't want to sign a guy 33 or older who is gonna enter the decline phase of his career in the next couple seasons.

maumann likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And IIRC, no ghost runners, right

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. maumann

Exactly. There's a lot of "past their prime" guys out there that I don't want Harris to even think about unless you get them on a one-year below value deal: Carlos Santana, Christian Walker, Paul Goldschmidt.

8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

If it was mentioned, I missed it, but this is a must-win for the G’s. With the 5 games in 24 days or whatever, Skubal can still pitch twice. Guards need to win in four.

maumann likes this.
  9. Starman

He shouldn't sign guys 37-38 years old at any price.

maumann likes this.
  10. maumann

And it's only one game. Bob Gibson struck out 17 in Game 1 of the 1968 World Series, so us old guys have been here, done that.

That's not to say there's a similar feeling to this Tigers team, but the Guardians need to beat Skubal on Monday and/or close it out in Detroit. A Game 5 with Skubal wouldn't be Cleveland's favorite situation.

11. Starman

All you need is a split on the road.

maumann likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Thankfully the Manfred Man has been banned from postseason.

Draft saved Draft deleted