1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2024.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

They for some reason judged their second-best starter this season to be not good enough for the playoff roster.

Leaving Ben Lively off the roster is mystifying. They lean so heavily on spin rate and metrics that at times they overlook a guy who is just having a great year and placing his fastball in an ahistorical fashion for seven months. They trust stuff and they’re the best in the bigs at evaluating pitching. I just think Lively was the guy for this spot.

It was an organizational blunder, and I suspect Vogt being teammates with Alex Cobb might’ve mixed business and friendship. Not that Cobb was terrible.

Doesn’t really matter. When Jose Ramirez starts popping the ball up and not driving the ball for a week at a time, the offense is cooked. Detroit deserves this series.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Mets have stranded seven runners in three innings. Ouch. Let Suarez off the hook.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I went from the Guardians-Tigers to Phils-Mets and can stay here for Dodgers-Padres. A day without Costas is a good day.

MileHigh and Hermes like this.
  4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

One of the things that both sides are playing a lot is the platoon advantage. The fact that once a guy is pinch-hit for, he's a chess piece off the board has been motivating a lot of Hinch's thinking.

The Tigers' six pitchers today, Montero, Hurter, Brieske, Guenther, Vest, Holton, go RLRLRL.

I don't know how that plays against a Cleveland lineup that by my count had six lefties, two switch hitters and one righty, though.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

And Cleveland never found a two-hole hitter this season, so Hinch has exploited that Fry-Manzardo platoon to have Fry up in big situations against right handers. Fry of June would’ve made the Tigers pay. Since his elbow injury, all the thump is out of that bat.

I think Hinch is more concerned with Manzardo than Fry at this point and has managed that way. Some of it is plain bad luck that Fry keeps coming up in the biggest leverage point of the game.

Cleveland needed another bat beyond Lane Thomas. It was supposed to be Andres Gimenez, but that ship has sailed.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

At this point, I'd almost rather see the Phillies lose than have to endure more hours of watching them swing and miss by several feet at breaking stuff way out of the strike zone.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They’re definitely built for May.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Mets have two on, no out, and go K, K, 10 foot dribbler.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I can’t decide which is worse.
    Costas or the 5 second delay between listening to Denny Matthews on radio and watching tv on mute.

Liut likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm to the point where, if I don't like the announcers, I have no problem watching an entire game on mute. Life is too short.

MileHigh and maumann like this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Get Hoffman out of there before he wets himself

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Hoffman is coming up so weak, considering the year he's had.

Draft saved Draft deleted