1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2024.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

His top comp at his age his Barry Bonds, Yaz is third. Dale Murphy is fifth. Sixth through 10 is Freddie Freeman, Duke Snider, Rocky Colavito, Reggie Jackson and Mike Trout

Through age 31 that's a pretty good list to have six Hall of Famers, one who people think either should be in or is borderline.

By WAR, he's tied for 194th best hitter in history.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm gonna stick up for Harper :D but...he's still got a real chance at being an all-time great. Yes, Justin Upton and Shawn Green are among his comps thru his age-31 season. But the player to whom his numbers most compare in each of his last four seasons is Barry Bonds. Harper's signed for seven more years and has talked about playing 10 more years. Let's just say he plays nine more to play beyond his 40th birthday. His last nine years have been terrific but also marred by three seasons shortened due to injuries or the pandemic, so he's got a chance at producing these average numbers even as he declines. If he does what he's done over the last nine seasons, he'll have 2,812 hits, 575 homers, 1,791 walks, an OPS right around his current .911 mark (he's at .914 the last nine seasons) and 80.0 in WAR thru his age-40 season. He'd rank 12th in homers and seventh in walks and among the top 70 in WAR. That's all-time great territory.

I think there's a better chance he goes down a Trout-esque path, is continually banged up during his mid-to-late 30s and leaves us wondering what might have been. And he's not already a rock-solid HOFer like Trout, so he can't afford to completely fall off the cliff. But he only needs 2-3 more years of his usual production to basically clinch the HOF, with or without a ring.

BartonK likes this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Looks like the final four is going to be three of the five highest payrolls and The Little Engine That Could.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Whew. Bring on the Mets.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What did Kike say after asking if they were live?

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

“We don’t give a fuck”

Songbird likes this.
  7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Mets-Dodgers should be fun. I kinda thought the Padres would win that series … which shows how much I know.

Mets and Dodgers both have great lineups. Dodgers handled the Mets in the regular season, but that was kinda before rhe Mets got rolling.

I tbink if the Mets are gonna win, they’ll have to be the opposite of what they’ve been lately. Early offense against the Dodgers, rather than late heroics.

I hope the Mets pitching staff can keep it up. It’s been incredibly effective for months.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Feeling great, someone he knows bet the Dodgers to win the series when they were down 2-1!

dixiehack likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't care who wins tomorrow - I'm all in with the AL Central from here on out. I must say, hell of a job by the Dodgers bullpen. Considering how dominant bullpens have become in the game, I'm guessing it isn't just the closer who gets paid. I'd love to see the breakdown between pay among starters and relievers. You have a whole bunch of relievers who are great for an inning or two - do you pay them more than an iffy fourth starter? I'm guessing the analytics guys have figured out the proper compensation based on WHIP regardless.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If people pay little attention to pitching wins, especially for starters, the save has almost completely disappeared; it's virtually never mentioned st all.
    We'll have to have a new category called something like "stops", when relief pitchers come into high leverage situations and get the potential deciding batters out. Maybe just redefine the save stat altogether.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted