1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2024.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah I know, but maybe there needs to be a separate category for "game deciding holds."

Up until now, holds have been considered as definitely secondary to wins and saves.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This was the biggest hit of the '88 playoffs.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Kerry Carpenter not starting. Available to hit a late pinch-hit Kirk Gibson home run to break Cleveland’s heart, I’m assuming.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

That’s an interesting question because relievers are so volatile. Almost the entire Dodgers bullpen are reclamation projections.

Treinen and Hudson are once successful guys who have battled injuries and missed long stretches of time, Phillips, Brasier and Banda are scrap heap guys from waivers who found it in LA, Vescia spent part of the season in AAA.

A lot of bullpen arms are a crapshoot. The Angels have gone all in on bullpen arms the past couple of seasons and most have faltered badly.

I bet a lot of the relievers are paid more by their second team and not where they find success.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I just saw that a headline on one of the ESPN highlights says "Yamamoto's gem propels Dodgers to NLCS."
    Then I looked at the box score and saw he pitched five innings. Even if he did it really well, does that qualify as a "gem"? It's not even considered a quality start, right?

There was another headline right under it, "Dodgers clinch first NLCS berth since 2021," that made me want to punch a hole in the wall for entirely different semantic reasons.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Thank you. “First achievement in three years” only means something on the game level.
    “Gem” requires a minimum of 7 IP if you ask me. What Yamamoto delivered was admirable, but it didn’t even meet the standards for a Quality Start.

Batman likes this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

This is a lot of words for a headline written in five seconds by a 23-year-old in Bristol making $38,000 a year.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

There will never be a stupider blackout than the MLB app not letting me listen to local radio announcers during the playoffs.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Arnold Rothstein just said uh-oh.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m sure an Ohioan calling the balls and strikes won’t be controversial.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

That’s the hardest Boyd has thrown in a Guardians uniform. Touching 94. Emptying the clip knowing he’s probably out there at most three innings.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

During the wildcard round, Sciambi said the Brewers were trying to win their first playoff game since 2021. Sent it to an Angels fan friend who just groaned

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted