1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2024 at 7:49 AM.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Incredibly ironic that the Mets survived a 2 out failure to cover first base on a great defensive play which led to 4 runs and the Brewers had the same thing the next night which led to 5 runs.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's a culmination of three months of watching the same tired batting approach -- home run or nothing. Just very frustrating. Ragans was good but he wasn't THAT good. Didn't make him work for it.

Anyway, yes, was upset a couple of hours ago, but there's still tomorrow. So we'll come back and root the boys on then.

Liut likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Nah. You can breathe easy tomorrow. That's what winning today does for you.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, you'd rather not be in an elimination-game scenario on the road if you can help it at all.

5. tapintoamerica

It's gonna be a small and surly crowd at Camden Yards tomorrow, I fear. They'll start booing as soon as the Royals take the lead because they know what that means.
    The Orioles haven't won a postseason series in which they lost the opener since the 1983 World Series. And the postseason L streak will be at 10 by this time tomorrow.
    I was pleased when they avoided the Tigers, who have considerable mojo. But it doesn't matter if you can't hit with RISP.
    Orioles 60-12 when (.833) hitting ≥ 2 HR in a game in 2024. Third-highest W % in such games. But 31-59 (.344) when hitting one or none. That's 27th out of 30.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, if he stays, he'd better revamp the hitting-coach situation. Because the plate approaches in the second half, from Henderson on down, have been shit. And Rutschman, especially, has looked worse than I ever would have imagined.

7. tapintoamerica

I'm not in the fire-Hyde camp. Coaching staff always changes. Even after great years. But coaxing 91 wins out of a team with a makeshift pitching staff is pretty good by me.
    The offensive inconsistency is frustrating. But I think it's generally a mistake to judge a manager on postseason failures. The Orioles of 1969-71 won 109, 108 and 101 games and won the World Series just once in that span. That didn't make Earl Weaver a lesser manager in my book. (Besides, you can't beat Earl v. Bill Haller for YouTube comedy.)

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a lot that's predictive about either of those AL games. Sometimes you just run into an ace and you get beat.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ah…..young Ken Kaiser behind the plate.
    “YOU AND THIS CREW IS HERE FOR ONE SPECIFIC REASON!”

tapintoamerica likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'm in the fire Hyde camp either, if we're being truly honest. But someone's head usually has to roll when you win 192 games over the course of two seasons and go winless in the postseason. That's just the nature of pro sports. It may not be Hyde, but as shotty pointed out, the hitting coach will probably take the fall. Ragans was good yesterday, but he didn't need the extra help of guys swinging for the fences on every at-bat. You could really see the frustration hit in the eighth, when Cowser spiked his bat after a weak fly ball.

All I want to see this afternoon is better at-bats, and as has been noted, if you get beat, you get beat. It's been three months of poor plate approaches and .500 baseball, and it manifested itself horribly yesterday.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I know he got beaned in the ass over the weekend. I'm guessing there are still some hard feelings on both sides.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

If the Orioles go two-and-out two straight years, it sure as hell ain't gonna be the prospect-collecting golden boys in the front office who have to answer to the new-ish owner.

Draft saved Draft deleted