1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2024.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Yankees-Giants?

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, seven times, six were Yankees-NYG, the seventh vs. San Francisco in 1962.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Weird reversal of the '78 series in that the team that went up 2-0 lost 4-2. Reggie barely played and Winfield's giant flop in the series haunted him for years. And the hugely underrated Bob Watson (a LA native) had an outstanding Series for the Yanks, the only time he played in the fall classic.

maumann likes this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm rooting for the meteor. Certainly not the Yankees and as an Angels fan and growing up in SoCal and around Dodgers fans -- yeah, no freakin' thanks to that.

Spartan Squad, maumann and mpcincal like this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Odd stat that I saw on a "head to head" graphic today -- the Dodgers have more Hall of Famers than the Yankees, 53-47.
    I feel pretty certain I could name at least 15 or 20 Yankees Hall of Famers off the top of my head just by listing uniform Nos. 1-30. I'd be hard pressed to get to double digits with the Dodgers.

They've had some great teams and players, but it doesn't seem like a lot of HOF caliber players. It feels like a lot of their best players of the past 50 years were all Hall of Very Good types -- Garvey, Cey, Lopes, Pedro Guerrero, Fernando, Orel Hershiser, etc. -- or are still active.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Think Brooklyn Dodgers and a whole bunch of other Hall of Famers come to mind.

7. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

The 1981 Dodgers don't have a single Hall of Famer. But to your point, they have a shitload of Hall of Very Gooders. Their entire starting lineup save maybe Ken Landreaux are all Hall Of Very Good: Scioscia, Garvey, Lopes, Russell, Cey, Baker, Guerrero. Add Monday, Sax, Yeager and (an old) Reggie Smith off the bench. Pitching-wise? Valenzuela, Welch, Hooton, Welch are all Hall oF Very Good. In the bullpen, Howe (drug problem, but really good before his problems got the better of him), pre-Oakland Dave Stewart, Forster (good despite being a Letterman punch line later), pre-stardom Sutcliffe and Alejandro Pena.

No Hall of Famers, but 66 combined career All-Star appearances split among 20 different players! Including at least one for each everyday starter and member of the rotation. That has to be some sort of bizarro record.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

They are the only team between the start of the World Series and the 1997 Marlins to not have a Hall of Fame player. Since 1997 its the 2002 Angels, the 2008 Phillies (relying on Utley), the 2010, 12 and 14 Giants (relying in Posey), 2015 Royals (relying on Salvy Perez), 2016 Cubs. Every team since then leading until this year, including the 2024 champ, will have one.

maumann and garrow like this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Does this refer only to players whose plaques depict them wearing the particular team’s cap? Or do these numbers include, say, Eddie Murray as a Dodger?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not sure. I would think the latter. It was just one line on the graphic, though. It didn't break it down.
    Although if that's the case, then it would even out and the Yankees would get credit for somebody like Randy Johnson, right?

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It has to include players like Murray, Maddux, Pedro, Piazza, Frank Robinson, Gary Carter and Juan Marichal, who spent time with the franchise.

The only Hall of Fame players the Dodgers acknowledge with retired numbers are Reese, Hodges, Sutton, Koufax, Campanella, Jackie Robinson and Drysdale.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Debating busting out my old school Dodgers Starter jacket this week.

Draft saved Draft deleted