1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

With the draft coming up I'm curious what to make of how MLB will "work" with the NIL a thing now. Will they have to raise their offers to players? Defer to the colleges and figure they can save a few backs (something MLB loves to do) and just continue focusing on college players who have a few years under their belt? If you are a player coming out of HS, you know what the market for your services is - Team A is offering X, can the college match it?

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Are following runs earned if a HBP keeps an inning alive?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The White Sox actually showed a pulse on offense and had decent starting pitching against the Cubs. Then the bullpen was called upon.

I believe that is now 16 losses in which the White Sox were ahead by two or more runs in the game. About one-third of their total (so far).

A new sign at Guaranteed Comiskey Park needs to read, “Abandon all hope ye who enter here.”

maumann likes this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I want a documentary on the White Sox from 2021-2024. From the team that was supposed to own the American League for a decade to…this.

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

because of bonus pools, teams know what kids will sign for before the draft to work within the total allotment they have. It's why you'll see kids rated/ranked highly and its the fourth round and they are still on the board. Teams already know what will take and it's out of their range.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

@Hermes … On the plus side, the other team I follow, the Mariners, certainly could make room for Luis Robert in their lineup.

Hermes likes this.
  8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Starring Kenny Williams as the Grim Reaper.

Hermes likes this.
  9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Yep. Teams aren't taking a high schooler in the first round (or even second round probably) if they don't know that they're going to sign them. Plus, high school pitchers would be unwise to go to college with the way coaches overuse them.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The White Sox really whiffed with their new announcer hire. He’s awful.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Yankees and Phillies are both on pace to win 113 games. The Orioles could improve their win total from last year and still finish 10 games back in the AL East. Yeesh.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The safest prediction of the year is that neither the Yanks nor Phils will maintain that pace. Each club is due for a mean reversion pretty soon, and I say that as a Phillies fan.

Draft saved Draft deleted