1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I have a general question - can a manager (in theory) make a double-switch while replacing an injured pitcher, or any other moves, or can he only change the pitcher?

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

This is all I can find in the rulebook. I'm assuming they can, as long as they notify the chief umpire about the switch before signaling for the replacement.

Rule 5.10(b) Comment:

To avoid any confusion, the manager should give the name of the substitute, his position in the batting order and his position on the field. When two or more substitute players of the defensive team enter the game at the same time, the manager shall, immediately before they take their positions as fielders, designate to the umpire-in-chief such players’ positions in the team’s batting order, and the umpire-in-chief shall so notify the Official Scorer. If this information is not immediately given to the umpire-in-chief, the umpire-in-chief shall have authority to designate the substitutes’ places in the batting order.

If a double-switch is being made, the manager or coach shall first notify the plate umpire. The umpire-in-chief must be informed of the multiple substitutions and interchanged batting order before the manager calls for a new pitcher (regardless of whether the manager or coach announces the double-switch before crossing the foul line). Signaling or motioning to the bullpen is to be considered an official substitution for the new pitcher. It is not permissible for the manager to go to the mound, call for a new pitcher, and then inform the umpire of multiple substitutions with the intention of interchanging the batting order.

Octave and jr/shotglass like this.
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

One of Seattle’s young starters, Bryan Woo, scratched from tonight’s start against the White Sox. Seattle Times reporting that the Mariners are awaiting MRI results on his arm.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Tonight, he certainly won't be pitching ... (oh, never mind.)

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

And Chicago asks, "Woo, who?"

Baron Scicluna and jr/shotglass like this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Woo’s on first?

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Hey, Siri: Sit down.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Maumann-
    Thank you much for your thoughtful response.

maumann likes this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ric Flair is disappointed.

Baron Scicluna and I Should Coco like this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Livvy’s boyfriend looked pretty good, but Milolas was better. Helsley fell apart, and the Pirates won 2-1.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I know what I’ve seen. I refuse to call anyone worse than Javy Baez. Math fails to fully represent his horrific batting.

Fred siegle and maumann like this.
  12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

He apparently told Hyde he was exhausted. That series in Tampa with a day game on Sunday followed by a night game on Monday then travel and a night game tonight was fucking stupid. Orioles have one off day this month. Smart play. The two top teams in the AL East may finish 25 games clear of the rest of the division, no need to kill him in June.

Draft saved Draft deleted