1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I must admit, even with the impressive run he had going, I still held the idea he's a prototypical Class AAAA pitcher, and waited for the other shoe to drop. And this was the perfect venue for it to happen.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
  2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Yeah it weirded me out too. Not even 24 hours later.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Reminded me of this scene from Gung Ho. My first thought was, Wendt's out and the winning run goes back to second.

gung-ho-george-wendt-1986-paramountcourtesy-everett-collection-HCW1G5.jpg

4. jr/shotglass

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Argument going strong on the Mays thread.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Is there really an argument for the next 50-70 years?

[​IMG]

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I'll bet you there is.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

A losing one.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

We were talking about this a few days ago on the CWS thread. I said I hated it when the game ends with a base ump making a call on a check swing. That ump didn't and some team rallied to win. But this one seemed too obvious.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I seem to recall that when the Dodgers and Giants were battling for the NL West title a couple seasons ago, the Giants won a key regular season game and the Dodgers won a playoff game on check swing calls/no calls.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Let's see what he is after the second Tommy John surgery. As it stands, he has had two good seasons as a starting pitcher and one great one, none of them with over 28 starts. I remember seeing a great statistical argument for Judge over Ohtani for AL MVP in 2022. Part of it was including defensive value in the equation. You would have to do the same in an all-time great discussion with Bonds, who was a fantastic defender for much of his career.

If Ohtani comes back and puts together four or five great seasons as a pitcher, then we'll see. If not, you are comparing a guy who was mostly a DH to an outfielder who won seven Gold Gloves.

Edit: Ohtani did have 28 starts in the one full year he didn't win the MVP. He had 22 and 23 starts during his two MVP seasons.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  12. jr/shotglass

Draft saved Draft deleted