1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I’ve seen enough of Povich now. If the O’s don’t trade some of these prospects for adult pitchers, they’re actively squandering a World Series opportunity. Not cool.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Gerrit Cole's beginning to look like himself, too.

EDIT: Henderson now has 99 strikeouts on the season. I love the kid's play, but I don't think enough has been said about that.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2024
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

He’s had a bad week and he has no clue how to wear it on his sleeve

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

His power developed more than we imagined it would at this point. But the strikeouts are a concern.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Back many years ago, our newsroom would have a betting pool. Eight people kick in $5 apiece. Each picks the name of a hitter out of a hat. He’s your guy. He wins, you get $40.

Made the night on the copy desk much more interesting.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Holmes just hit Kjerstad in the head, and benches and bullpens empty out.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don’t care if I’m Aaron Boone, Bret Boone or Bob Boone…..I’m not trifling with Brandon Hyde.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The pre-game batting averages of tonight's starting lineup FOR YOUR SEATTLE MARINERS!:

.214, .176, .216, .263, .231, .202, .220, .205 and .211.

Murdered Row.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Jose Iglesias is a great Mets cult hero story. One of those great little stories that sticks no matter how the season goes.

Journeyman, great glove, suddenly hitting like an All-Star. The song. Fun baseball story.

Nothing like it since Grimace.

Fred siegle likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

None of the bullpen guys actually want to fight. They just need to look like they’re doing something to help. All except a few of those guys are actually itching for a fight. Everyone else is holding someone back, even if it’s holding a guy trying to hold another guy.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My junior year in high school, I was on the JV baseball team. Both the Varsity and JVs had a road game at a school that had two fields. They were at opposite ends of a big area. The center fielders could probably talk to each other, but not crash into each other.
    We were playing our game while monitoring how the Varsity was doing across the way. In the Varsity game, there was a collision at the plate and the players came up swinging. Benches cleared. One of the guys in our game says, "Coach, are we supposed to fight them?" I guess it never occurred to us to run over to the Varsity field and join in.

BitterYoungMatador2 and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted